Wing clipping

• 5 Replies

CarrieStu

Wing clipping
« on: April 06, 2014, 19:06 »
Hi,
I have ten week old Sussex white hybrids. I am keeping them in the garden and am worried they could fly away so I plan to clip their wings, but I wondered when I can do this? How early can I do this? They have a run but I'd like to get them out into the garden as soon as possible so they can have a larger area to peck about in. Thanks for any help you can give!

ghost61

Re: Wing clipping
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2014, 20:20 »
If you have high fences - about 6 ft or more - they are unlikely to fly over them.  Mine are out most days and are too busy wrecking the garden to even think that there was somewhere else over the fence.  It would be a shame to clip their wings (only the one, of course), unless it was really necessary.

CarrieStu

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2014, 21:39 »
Thank you! Looking forward to getting them out and about :)

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 09:11 »
I clipped my girls wings but it didn't stop them flying.  I stopped bothering in the end  :D

The idea is to clip just one wing, which makes them unstable to fly. You have to be careful, and do it properly. I'd get someone to show you how to do it.    Having had chooks myself though I wouldn't bother to be honest
Some breeds are flightier than others. Smaller, lighter breeds seem more prone to flight. Good luck  :)

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 09:49 »
My light sussex could get up five feet and have a stroll about on top of the hedge but she always jumped back the right side !
If your neighbours and any pets they may have are ok with any AWOLs i would leave it and only trim a wing on offenders. :)

hen addict

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2014, 13:02 »
I have a copper head marans that flys no matter what I do! She's quite heavy as well, yet the 4 smaller hybrid leghorns don't fly at all as fast as are. I think a lot depends on the individual if you get 1 that insists it's a nomad then nothing will stop them I gave up trying :D
A chicken mad addict currently owned by 12 lovely hybrid hens, 1 large allotment growing lots of  fruit and veg

xx
wing clipping

Started by Geo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 20, 2012, 19:51
by Geo
xx
Wing Clipping?

Started by bulliesrus on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post January 20, 2011, 04:24
by hillfooter
xx
Wing Clipping

Started by Vickie & Richard on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 23, 2008, 22:27
by Chookaholic
xx
Wing clipping

Started by Blue ranger on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 11:21
by Blue ranger

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 38 queries.