Sheep and nightshade

• 2 Replies

greenun

Sheep and nightshade
« on: June 29, 2010, 08:30 »
We had a couple of pet sheep for at least 12 years. (one is still alive Marrrrrrve).
The other (Merrrrrve) went blind over a period of 3 weeks. Then he died.
My expert mate (another pom like me) told me he had eaten deadly nightshade.
I couldn't find any on the block but for want of a better explanation it must be true.
Has anyone heard of this?

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Sheep and nightshade
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 11:53 »
I've not heard of this and blindness over 3 weeks does not sound like deadly nightshade. This acts much more quickly and although it can cause blurred vision it doesn't (in humans) cause blindness. It also causes dry mouth, tremors, paralysis and ultimately cardiac arrest.

If you can't find any deadly nightshade on your land it would seem unlikely to me to be the cause and it would be best to look for another so the remaining sheep can be protected. Bacterial infestions are a cause of blindness in sheep and your vet would be able to help you there.

Hope the other one remains healthy. 12 years sounds like a good life for a sheep.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

mobilekat

Re: Sheep and nightshade
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 16:05 »
Some of the worms that sheep get can also cause blindness, as other neurological signs like tremors.

Nightshade causes very dilated pupils, and years ago women would drop diluted sap into their eye to make their pupils dilate because they though men liked this!!
Very often quite lost- would be more lost if I could work out where I was!- But always find my way home.....

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 32 queries.