Planting between slow growing brassicas

• 4 Replies

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Planting between slow growing brassicas
« on: May 22, 2012, 21:58 »
Does anyone grow anything faster growing between their slow growing brassicas, like Brussels and purple sprouting?

Was thinking maybe some spinach, turnips or if there are any other quicker growing brassicas that would be done before the others get too big?

Or would they take away the goodness in the soil the slower ones need over the long haul?

Cheers

Kirpi

Re: Planting between slow growing brassicas
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 23:03 »
I won't grow a crop between as this as you say will take nutrients from the slower brassicas.

I will sometimes grow a crop of red (annual) clover as a green manure crop and hoe it through as the brassicas mature so the clover releases nitrogen just when the brassicas need it most.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 06:09 »
I interplant with fast crops regularly.  For example, I planted out cabbage plants last week and have put tom thumb lettuce in between.  I chucked some pelleted chicken manure on and will again in about 6 weeks, when the lettuce will have been cropped out.

As long as you make sure you feed and water anything you plant intensively like this, I can't see a problem  :)

Scotch Thistle

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 06:26 »
I have lettuce at wide intervals between my brassicas at the moment, and I also have rows of beetroot between the rows of parsnips i have planted. Again, these will grow and crop quicker than the parsnips, and be lifted before the parsnips are getting big.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 10:55 »
As the others have said, I always plant fast growing crops between wide spaced brassicas, usually lettuce, radish etc. as well as marigolds to try to reduce the white fly.
A few chicken pellets replace any nitrogen lost.
Last year, because I use raised beds, I tried parsnips between my rows of peas, which work very well. This year I'm trying parsnips between some of my onions.
The only problem with intercropping is it can make weeding more difficult, some make sure you leave space to get your hoe in or its hand weeding. 

xx
Planting out brassicas

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 10, 2010, 09:58
by JayG
xx
Planting out Brassicas

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 03, 2009, 19:51
by mumofstig
xx
Planting out brassicas

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 29, 2018, 15:50
by rowlandwells
xx
Planting out times for brassicas

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 08, 2012, 19:56
by Dopey113

Page created in 0.375 seconds with 39 queries.