Greenhouse base?

• 9 Replies

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
Greenhouse base?
« on: May 19, 2009, 23:07 »
Tomorrow morning I plan to build the base to our greenhouse. I've decided to make it from concrete blocks. I've been told to build it high in order to raise the height of the greenhouse. With that in mind I'm not sure whether to do 1 course or 2? 1 course would add an extra 6 inches (6 inches of the block being underground) or 2 courses would add an extra 18 inches? Not sure what would be best as it's our first greenhouse....any advice??

peterjf

Re: Greenhouse base?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2009, 23:23 »
lay the blocks flat on their sides , 2 courses will give you a good 10 inches , which is high enough,

jaws8

• I used to be indecisive, but now I'm just not sure
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2009, 09:25 »
I agree with the last post. Don't make it too high as there's a good chance you will have problems getting in and out and you will end up on your backside on a regular basis!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2009, 11:25 »
Some thoughts:

Ramp up to the door, and down again inside if you want to be able to wheel a barrow in.  Otherwise steps perhaps?

Slight slope so that the gutters run to one end.  Depends on your site, but I think slope to the back, then you can join both gutters to a single water butt.  At the front the door is in the way :) so you would need Butt on each side

Don't screw the frame down until the glass is in.  You will be straightening the frame as you put the glass in, so may want some wiggle-room - that is provided you can get to teh anchoring holes after the glass is in - if not perhaps glaze the roof first, then anchor, then glaze the sides.

If you will have soil in the borders, rather than a solid floor, then worth digging it before the roof glazing is on.  Once the house gets hot its a harder job, and if the soil is clay it may set like concrete!

You could also consider lowering the soil level to give you more cropping height - mine is 4" - 6" below the concrete foundations, and I have 2 courses of bricks on the foundations, so a decent height to the eaves.

corynsboy

• Experienced Member
    • http://growingyourownveg.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 13:12 »
If you are going to the trouble of giving a brick base to your GH then make sure you can stand up in it.  Base the amount of courses on that measurement alone.  (or dig out the floor) I'm a bit over six feet and mine is the only green house I don't hit my head in.

I left a gap for the door in the courses, and cut off the bottom door runner from the frame.  It will not provide any more or less stability and the door still works but it hangs on the upper rail rather than runs on upper and lower rails.

I extended the door down to the floor.  Actually I haven't quite finished that and I have to block the hole to stop critters getting in.  Use a piece of wood or metal attached to the bottom.  No ramps or steps required.

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it just yet.  I’ll sort that out in my next blog.  I’m having trouble with picture uploads at present.
Corynsboy's Blog

What's the difference between a good farmer and a bad farmer?  About a week.

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 13:35 »
Corynsboy,

That's a good idea about the bottom of the door. I've decided I'm just gonna go the height of one concrete block (I've just come in for lunch after setting the foundations and I'm in a bad mood...don't enjoy building in any way shape or form!!)

BTW good to see another blog...I'll be reading that tonight  ;)

philskin

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2009, 06:46 »
as people on here know ive just finished mine and i just went 1 block high ,im 5 ft 11 " and 6ft on a hot day and this is ample .The problem with putting blocks on there side is that its robbing space in the inside of your greenhouse if you plan to have a growing area in the soil , heres how mine went

« Last Edit: May 21, 2009, 06:51 by philskin »
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2009, 06:50 »
Well, I've gone one block high and I thnk it's high enough. Didn't go side on for the same reason as mentioned, more room inside!

Hated EVERY minute of building the base, but it's been screwed onto the base now and has about a third of the glass in it  :D

It's getting closer  ;)

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2009, 13:02 »

If you've any timber lying around (or can get hold of some at a decent price) you could knock up some shuttering and simply increase the height of your concrete footings to form a plinth.

It works an absolute treat!  :)

As you can see from the photo above, I went with steps (actually, the photo was taken mid-build and I hadn't formed the step outside at that point) and I find them just fine - but I have to admit, the idea of lengthening the door didn't cross my mind and in hindsight, I would have seriously looked into the practicalities of doing this.

Howard

Howard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2009, 13:05 »
OOOPS...

Just realized that it was you (mickwood) who posted before me... so there wasn't really any point me posting...  :D

xx
Greenhouse Base

Started by Uzzy on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post July 06, 2019, 20:33
by jezza
xx
Greenhouse Base

Started by Big Stev3 on Design and Construction

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 21:06
by JayG
xx
Greenhouse base

Started by Bonniebean on Design and Construction

21 Replies
Last post February 05, 2010, 18:33
by savbo
xx
Greenhouse base??

Started by infowarrior on Design and Construction

14 Replies
Last post February 27, 2007, 14:17
by legendaryone

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.