Companion plants for Asparagus plants

• 17 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Companion plants for Asparagus plants
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2015, 10:05 »
Managed to find a picture taken 5 years ago of the roots of one of my asparagus plants which had been forced to take a detour round my mint pot, which I had removed for its annual replanting.

The nearest edge of the pot was about a foot away from the centre of the asparagus crown, and 5 years on the crown has expanded to produce spears right next to it. Good job asparagus don't send up suckers like raspberries do - everyone would be desperate for advice on how to get rid of them!  :lol:
STA70025.JPG
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 07:58 »
Just in case anyone has noticed that I stated that asparagus has roots spreading wide and deep, but Kristen has stated that they are shallow rooted

My comment was misleading, sorry. I was only meaning to imply that they had shallow roots with-regard-to weeding/hoeing and planting of catch-crops.  I wasn't intending to imply that they didn't, also, have deep roots, as when I wrote my comment I was only thinking "catch-crops" :) so you are indeed quite right that they are both shallow and deep-rooted :)  Best to avoid any chance that they might need moving in future!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 07:59 by Kristen »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2015, 08:03 »
I wasn't expecting anything much seeing as how they only went in in the April.

I would expect?? that April is normal planting time - growers cold-store crowns before shipping, and ship them relatively late for planting.  I don't know why that is, but I am assuming there is a reason and that it helps transplants.

I don't think?? I've ever seen a first-season bed of Asparagus planted from crowns that looks anything more than "wisps" of ferns, whereas my from-pot-grown plants romped away.  But I've only grown from-seed & planted from-pots so I have no knowledge of crowns, I'd be interested to hear if folk have planted crowns and got a decent amount of foliage in Year One :)

xx
Companion Plants for potatoes

Started by Kabby on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 07, 2009, 20:30
by gobs
xx
Sweetcorn companion plants

Started by rich24uk on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2013, 18:40
by Mark's Sussex Allotment
xx
Companion Plants for Runner Beans

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 02, 2022, 21:23
by comfreykid
xx
Companion plants in raised bed paths

Started by wolveryeti on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2021, 20:24
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 39 queries.