Midnight Feast

• 4 Replies

Pertelotte

• Experienced Member
Midnight Feast
« on: March 19, 2011, 08:39 »
My girls tend to have (very) healthy appetites, so come evening I like to refill their hoppers so they don't fade away from starvation the next day.

Filling them up in the evening didn't work because they'd fly to the hoppers instead of popping themselves into beddy-byes. So I had a brilliant idea! I'd wait until they were asleep and then replenish supplies. What could go wrong?  ;)

So, come the midnight hour (or maybe 9ish) I creep in like a mouse and, with my headlight a soporific red, peered into the coop to look at my sleeping ladies. Aah. Carefully and silently I filled up the hoppers and sprinkled a bit of corn to stimulate their appetites.

Big Mistake.

During the day they can hear the twang of a treat tub being opened twenty miles away. During the night, when they are dopey enough to let a fox pick them off like fish in a barrel, not a lot has changed. I have barely put the tub back on the shelf when my ladies are a-flapping and a-rosey and a-getting out of bed. I have been sussed and caught red handed.

To add injury to insult I got a smart peck on the ankle to get me to move away from the hopper.

This wasn't in the manual, you know....!

Pertelotte

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Midnight Feast
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 08:42 »
remove their feeders at night, they aren't needed as your girls should sleep then  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 09:06 »
LOL thank you so much for the good laugh. :nowink: it's now just 9 am  :wacko: on a Saturday and reading the post as one does before the day starts,  :wub: with a cuppa coffee and i had a right good laugh :lol: . i like the peck on the ankle the best :blush:, hey your in my way i need that food you know. ;) sounds like my ladies well my hooligans when it comes to the greens they would be the best rugby team going.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 09:08 by AL Hathaway »
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

evie2

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 12:12 »
Our poots do this, we think they're asleep, go to lock them up for the night, they hear the back door open and by the time we've walked to the coop they're all there chattering away ::)
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2011, 01:41 »
I top mine up about an hour before their bedtime, gets them in the hut, gives them some supper, helps settle them for the night AND I don't feel guilty if I don't get up/ let them out early doors :-)

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 37 queries.