Garden clothes

• 18 Replies

jezza

Garden clothes
« on: August 31, 2021, 16:51 »
Hello just a though what sort of clothing and fashions are worn nmby members    jezza

GraciesGran

Re: Garden clothes
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2021, 16:58 »
Leggings, complete with holes.  Faded t shirts, ancient fleece in cold weather with sturdy boots.  All stuff that is past its best and can't come to any harm.  Have sun hat for good days and a huge supply of gloves.  Not cat walk ready but who cares.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2021, 18:00 »
Sturdy but cheap bought over the years for the job. I've worn enough stuff out (and composted stuff that turned out to be too frail as in cotton cords and cheap jeans) to be fussy so colour matters not but price and stuff that takes the hard wear does.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 19:12 »
Whatever fits & is comfortable & I can bend & stretch in but that is old, so jeggings or trousers with no zips & buttons, t shirt, jumper & to top it all 1 of 2 Cornish fisherman smocks that are bought for the job & I wouldn’t be without, one is extremely bright & stripy & 1 is plain blue but both are very strong, waterproof by nature of the fabric, wind proof & have 2 big pockets  :lol: I’d recommend them to anyone. I’ve used/ had them for years, probably 40, & I think I’m on my 4th!

Just looked this up for you
https://thesmockshop.com/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 19:14 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grinling

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 21:32 »
old pair of jeans, which by the thinning of the fabric will get a hole just under the bum. old jumper. gloves galore

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 02:00 »
Cold weather, an old sweatshirt (I think that's 'jumper' over there), or old jacket. Old jeans are fine if it's dry, but I have loose nylon pants (like fishing pants) if there's a chance it will be wet.  Boot or sneakers, depending on if it is wet or dry.

Hot weather, shorts, T-shirt, crocs or sneakers.

In-between weather will usually see me dressed in between the 'hot' and 'cold', above.  Sometimes an old long-sleeve shirt replaces the sweatshirt or jacket.

If it is sunny I will usually have at least a ball cap on, a wide-brimmed hat if the sun is brutal.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 06:47 »
Never without a pair of garden clogs at around £8.00 a pop - one pair at the front door, one at the back!

Bigger wellies are for strimming, as these ol' feet don't like rigger boots any more...

Knee pads are OK, but I prefer one of those folding kneelers nowadays, as it means that I can get back up again!

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 07:20 »
I also have a very fetching pair of mud encrusted waterproof trousers which come in useful.

Snowdrops, have just ordered a multi co!lured fisherman's smock.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2021, 08:57 »
I also have a very fetching pair of mud encrusted waterproof trousers which come in useful.

Snowdrops, have just ordered a multi co!lured fisherman's smock.

Brilliant, hope you like it & find it as useful as I do, I might even don mine for a photo shoot for you  :lol:

mrs bouquet

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2021, 12:10 »
I think my wardrobe is about the same as everybodys.    The trouble is because I don't go out often I wear it all indoors as well !!!   8 wardrobes of good clothes never see the light of day.    I am going to look at the fishermans smocks now.   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

lettice

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2021, 13:21 »
Normally and if if its the more serious down in the muddy dirty stuff, it is jeans and a few old t-shirts.
Normally get a few pairs of cheap supermarket jeans and t-shirts each Christmas for the year ahead just for that purpose.
In summer it is shorts and use a home made old jeans/t-shirt strung over wood to rest knees on, so can wash it. Saves those plastic kneelers ending up in landfill and never found them that nice to kneel on. Mine store nicely and hang in the comer of the greenhouse too.
If when it gets a little chilly here, an old jumper too and for those rainy times an old fleece with hood, that can be easily washed.
A baseball cap at all times, not just to keep the sun off but a good head hitting 'close' protection.
Shoes are slip on canvas ones, last for years and clean nicely in washing machine on sports shoes wash.
Have a pair at back door, a pair at front door and a pair in greenhouse for those muddy days to swap over with the back door pair, so do not tread near back door the dirtier ones.
Never wear gloves, except when its pulling up the stingers or dealing with the prickly holly or gooseberries during pruning.
Always have a spare old tea towel to hand for semi-wiping hands, especially if getting in deep and muddy. Have had a few on the go for years and washed hundreds of times.
An essential indoors used to be Swarfega, but that's long gone, so its a handwash and a quick nail brush rub.
Never use pockets for carrying, just have an old plastic sweet tub and lid for transporting  the tools around the garden with me, like pruners, seed labels, seeds, scissors, string and towels for that planned time. Also nice that I can place the bigger tools like trowels and dibbers etc on top of the lid so do not lose, while moving around the plot.
Have the tablet sat in the greenhouse or under the patio umbrella for listening/watching while working and connected bluetooth to over ear headphones. They fit nicely under the hood if it rains.

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2021, 13:47 »
In summer I wear a couple of old T-shirts with a pair of pull-on leggings, but I do need to get some more from a charity shop in a lighter cotton fabric as they get a bit warm. I also have a cap and some basic sandals snd bought a pair of shorts when the weather was really hot earlier on this year. In winter I have an old padded waterproof anorak and waterproof trousers which I can slip on over my day wear. One thing I wouldn't be without is my Chameau rubber slip-on clogs that OH bought me for St. Rudolph's Day many years ago. They weren't cheap but are so comfy and will outlast me and my great-grand-nieces and nephew easily.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Growster...

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2021, 07:01 »
I am very envious of a chum who works in our fave GC, as he has a pair of braces with gardening motifs all over them!

My gardening jeans cost a pound from Twongos many years ago, and as they only fit where they touch, a decent pair of braces is called for, especially when lying down on the wet grass, and making a cover for a dear friend's well (pictured)...

I had to take off the old rotten decking, and replace it, and my pathological fear of wells wasn't allowed to come into it, hence the stupid grin when it had been finished!
0.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2021, 07:45 »
Is that really you Mr G, you’re not a bit like I expected, I was expecting more like Sid James  :D

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2021, 09:38 »
I'd just stood up when another chum waltzed by, got her phone out and snapped a red-faced, dishevelled Growster - tired, but so happy not to be staring down a well a million ft deep and six ft wide...

That water tower behind is a listed structure, and you can see it on Google earth, (South East from the church, red car in drive) although the well isn't obvious there funnily enough :0~

The house below it is in fact a huge victorian greenhouse, and converted to a fabulous home now! A good chum lives there, and she is a gardening fanatic too! Mrs Growster taught kindergarten in the big place opposite! Astronomer Herschel lived there years ago - but Sid James didn't...!

xx
Buying Clothes

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2019, 10:34
by mrs bouquet
xx
This year's clothes - yuk!

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

9 Replies
Last post August 27, 2019, 14:45
by Christine
xx
Never knew I'd ever buy children's clothes.

0 Replies
Last post December 12, 2018, 15:06
by Goosegirl
clip
GG's new garden.

8 Replies
Last post July 19, 2020, 15:04
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 54 queries.