Bad Day

• 3 Replies

rcf100

• Experienced Member
Bad Day
« on: July 07, 2012, 22:22 »
Well I was looking forward to an evening in the garden as the weather has been reasonable today after  not getting much chance over the last few days.

So my toms have tomato leaf mould.  I hope I have caught it in time to save them.  My 2 remaining sunflowers are going the same way as the first, don't know what's getting them, but I'm guessing weevils and my sage is dead.

So I've been researching my sage as I've had the same plant for years.  I repotted this year as it was in a wooden planter than disintegrated when we moved it.  I didn't realise about it being drought loving so I didn't put it on a bed of stones like it had previously had and I think it has an awful case of root rot!

So my question is, I'm now needing some more - do I go with the common variety like I had or a more fancy one?  Do all varieties flower as I'd prefer one that didn't as it's a pain to pick them off (found that the leaves suffered if I left it to flower)?

Trillium

Re: Bad Day
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2012, 03:48 »
It's possible to simply pick off most of the bad tomato leaves and leave anything that's still healthy, especially at the top. Tomatoes really don't need to be covered in leaves to survive. Most toms around here have set fruit and are almost naked so that the fruits can start to ripen in full sun. (I'd gladly trade you some sun for badly needed rain)

As for the sage, once you've got root rot, there's no saving it. You can always check seed catalogues for varieties that aren't as prone to flowering, or even contact seed sellers for recommendations. And then either buy a plant somewhere or get the seeds. There are so many varieties of sage out there that I couldn't begin to guess what might take your fancy. I believe all will flower, but some less than others because it's how sage reproduces primarily. Only sterile plants won't flower and I don't believe there are sterile sages out there....yet.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 08:30 »
I had a bad case of mildew in my greenhouse 2 years ago, so now I pick off any unhealthy looking leaves from the tomatoes.
Most of them don't have any below around 18" - 2ft. They are now 5-6' so there are plenty of leaves still on.
This has kept it under control very well. I also pick off any crowded leaves.

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 08:40 »
This is what I've done with the toms so I'm hoping with close attention I can get through the season. I haven't really grown toms before so I think I'll do better next yr now I know what not to do.

It was quite depressing though. First decent evening in days and I spent it online checking various problems cos nothing went right

Page created in 0.3 seconds with 33 queries.