Carrots

• 14 Replies

symonep

• Experienced Member
Carrots
« on: July 07, 2012, 14:53 »
Before I go ahead and do this I thought I would ask to see if it is a wise move! I am thinking of growing carrots in sections of drain pipe cut to about 10", I will put them all in one container so they are together like a honey comb. My reason for doing this is our weeds are so bad a bed of carrots we had have been taken over so I thought this may be a good idea!
Am I nuts or could this work?

Edit title to aid searching
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 14:59 by argyllie »
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: Carrots
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 15:00 »
Are you talking 110 drainpipe? How many carrots would you envisage growing in each?
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 16:05 »
Try it, but feed them well as they will be closer together than usual. Why not put them straight into your container?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 17:58 »
No idea what 110 is but I would grow 1 carrit in each bit of pipe, just wondered if it would cut down on the weeds, will give it a try and let you all know!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 18:00 »
4 inch! ish* - normal drain pipe size.

4 and a bit.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 18:06 »
I tried it once in an 8" deep planter and it was a disaster. Unless you grow only the baby finger carrots, you'll not have luck.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 18:28 »
I tried it once in an 8" deep planter and it was a disaster. Unless you grow only the baby finger carrots, you'll not have luck.

*  thanks, will have to go back to the drawing board and try it a different way
Thanks

yorky

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 22:00 »
I have got some growing in drainpipes in the hope of getting a good set for our local show. They look to be doing okay in a planting mix of old potting compost and sand. At one carrot per drainpipe I am not sure if it would be worth using this method if you only want carrots for the kitchen.
Sets a low standard and fails to achieve it.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 22:43 »
Before I go ahead and do this I thought I would ask to see if it is a wise move! I am thinking of growing carrots in sections of drain pipe cut to about 10", I will put them all in one container so they are together like a honey comb. My reason for doing this is our weeds are so bad a bed of carrots we had have been taken over so I thought this may be a good idea!
Am I nuts or could this work?

Edit title to aid searching

I also have a bit of a weed-ridden bed, but I dug out a trench, quite deep and wide, and re-filled with a sand/soil/compost mix - this was mostly to counteract the heavy stoney clay I have, which makes carrot growing tricky - but had the added benefit of keeping the actual row of carrots/seedlings free of weeds - worth a try?

the Kergan

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 22:46 »
Maybe a silly question and a little out of left field here, but I will shoot from the hip as its always been my style........ Can't you just plant them in neat rows and weed them a couple of times a week?
"Your first job is to prepare the soil.  The best tool for this is your neighbor's motorized garden tiller.  If your neighbor does not own a garden tiller, suggest that he buy one."

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 23:43 »
Maybe a silly question and a little out of left field here, but I will shoot from the hip as its always been my style........ Can't you just plant them in neat rows and weed them a couple of times a week?
::) but that is far too simple lol. By the time the carrots have sprouted the weeds are too big and the you have to wait for the carrots to get a little bigger to weed effectively by this time the carrot tops are nly an inch or two high and the weeds are 8" high.
Weeds 1- me 0!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2012, 00:10 »
When my Dad had an allotment, he had loads of weeds.  I know this is a different situation to yours, but what Dad did was to dig out his allotment section by section, down to about 3ft and he lined the bottom with thick plastic.

he then replaced the topsoil and every time the weeds came through, he dug them out, before they set seed, until eventually he got very little weeds.

Perhaps you could do something like that each year, with  a different bit of ground?  I've got a bit of ground behind my big greenhouse, its  3ft by 8ft and I've put sandy soil in it.  It's full of carrots.   I do get some weeds,, but not many, and the carrots are doing really well.

But I think you are wasting space in a container by using the drain pipe.  Just put the sandy soil in the container and plant the carrots in there, which is also what I have.

symonep

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 00:37 »
Thanks Grannieannie that is a really good idea. I think it is more to do with the weather this year as well as we con normally only go down weekends and virtually every weekend it has been raining so the weeds are winning as I can't get there. Will give what you say a try and see if it helps. Thanks

Trillium

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 03:38 »
Carrots are one of the few veg that prefer sandy soil so GrannieAnnie's suggestion should get some nice big carrots for you.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2012, 06:42 »
We're trying carrots in big pots Symon.

We have about 20 pots, about 14" deep, filled with loam and a little compost at the top. The seed is very thinly sown, and the whole lot is plonked on an old table, raised up about 18" off the ground, to deter carrot fly!

They all stand in plastic trays, and they're debris-netted completely as well!

You can see that we're definitely giving the blasted fly a run for its money this year...;0)

Time will tell though...

xx
can you put autumn carrots in the same place as early carrots

Started by tooo many seeds on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 17:33
by DD.
xx
Carrots and..............

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 14, 2009, 07:32
by jennyb
xx
carrots

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2017, 17:57
by DIGGER
xx
Carrots

Started by tali on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 18, 2007, 22:38
by tali

Page created in 0.381 seconds with 38 queries.