Fox Mange

• 9 Replies

Eblana

Fox Mange
« on: September 07, 2012, 14:24 »
My poor dog Doogle has just been diagnosed with fox mange, he was out walking in the woods with my son about 4 weeks ago and was running in and out of ditches so I assume this is where he picked it up. 

The Vet has given him tablets and something to rub at the nap of his neck.  Has anyone any suggestions on other things I can do to help him feel more comfortable, I hate seeing him so miserable. 

I assume also that I need to disinfect all his bedding etc. - is there anything safe that I can use on carpets as he has been sleeping on the landing for the past two nights.

Trillium

Re: Fox Mange
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 14:47 »
There are a lot of good tips here.

Eblana

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 14:56 »
Thanks a million.  I will try some of these and see how I get on. :)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 15:06 »
For the carpets, hoover them all well and often. And if anyone has a rug shampooer, I'd borrow it and give the rugs/carpets Doogle has been sleeping on a good cleaning to clean up any residual mange bits.

Doogle's dog bed should be put through the washing machine (if possible), washed with laundry soap and use lots of plain vinegar in the rinse (no softeners). You might need to repeat this a few times until you're sure the mange is totally cleared up.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 18:32 »
Did the vet specify sarcoptic or demodetic mange?  Sarcoptic mange is contagious to humans and you should avoid skin contact with your dog if that is the diagnosis.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 20:45 »
I emailed a friend whose relative just went through mange with their dog and this is what he said:

in the month Feb.-March each year I give Dixie a pill obtained from ProHeart(online).Each pill contains 136 micrograms of MOXIDECTIN which is a specific for heartworm,hookworm,roundworm,whipworm ,fleas and sarcoptic mange.

He forgot to do it this year and poor dog Dixie got mange. Worse was that the young vets didn't have a clue what they were looking at. Fortunately, an older vet came along and immediately diagnosed it - after the family had already spent a lot of money on incorrect prescriptions. Hope you have better luck.

yaxley

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2012, 21:31 »
Did the vet specify sarcoptic or demodetic mange?  Sarcoptic mange is contagious to humans and you should avoid skin contact with your dog if that is the diagnosis.

Yes i think sarcoptic mange in humans is called scabies sure i read about it years ago when i had a dog that caught mange .......
Grow organic as nature intended

Eblana

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2012, 21:17 »
Hi all,

The vet didn't say which one it was but he did tell me that it wasn't contagious except between dogs and foxes so I guess it must be demodetic mange.

Our local pet shop had a powder for carpet, upholstery etc. which kills fleas, ticks, mites etc. so I used this earlier as an interim.  I have managed to get a lend of a carpet shampooer and will shampoo the carpets in the morning.  His bedding is in the washing machine, I have just put some of the vinegar I had in the press for pickling my beetroot in the fabric softener drawer of the machine  and his collar is in the bin! 

He seems a lot better today and isn't scratching near as much but he has loads of bald patches and looks miserable.  As the itching has eased off we all (including Doogle) got a nights sleep last night for the first time in nearly a week.

Trillium

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2012, 03:42 »
Apparently it takes a little while for things to heal up but it sounds like you're off to a good start. Do try some of the other topical remedies suggested to see if anything works particularly well for poor Doogle.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2012, 13:18 »
Hi all,

The vet didn't say which one it was but he did tell me that it wasn't contagious except between dogs and foxes so I guess it must be demodetic mange.

He seems a lot better today and isn't scratching near as much but he has loads of bald patches and looks miserable.  As the itching has eased off we all (including Doogle) got a nights sleep last night for the first time in nearly a week.

I'm glad he is improving. :)

Friends once took on a rescue/rehome dog which rapidly developed sarcoptic mange (to be honest he probably had it before/as they took him on). They had a terrible time getting him well again, but did. :) Not helped by having to wear gloves for any contact. ::)

Page created in 0.134 seconds with 39 queries.