Cumcumber leaves wilting

• 8 Replies

Top Cat

Cumcumber leaves wilting
« on: April 18, 2008, 11:15 »
I just noticed that the first two leaves of my baby plants are drying up/dying , there is a new leaf on there.... so do you think i have overwatered them, or could they just be cold (in an unheated bedroom at the moment which get lots of afternoon sun) my tomatoes are romping away and in the same place
I know they don't like wet stems.......... should i leave them and see what happens or try to start off more. Or maybe try and water them through the soil a bit deeper

They are both outdoor ones 'Miniature White' and Mirella' from Real Seeds

gobs

Cumcumber leaves wilting
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 23:52 »
One would say, seed leaves die back, it's normal,  but with just one leaf it's too early, they might indeed be cold, or a lot of other things, any chance you could get a photo?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

chrissie B

Cumcumber leaves wilting
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 07:44 »
I'm having a similar problem , i just Carnot seem to get a cucumber to grow , have put loads of seeds in , there are no frosts here now and most nights are even balmy .
will have to cheat and buy a couple .
Chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

fivespud364

• www.vegetableplantsdirect.co.uk
Cumcumber leaves wilting
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:27 »
the problem is your all trying to grow things way to early without the right environment to do so unless you have a heated greenhouse it is not worth planting anything that cant be sown outside until at least early May,

If you haven't got a heated greenhouse to do it in as it cant go in the ground or even an unheated greenhouse until all risk of Frost has passed which is not until late May at the earliest and ive known frost in places as late as June in recent years that have killed off bedding plants and Runner Beans that have been put out too early.

If you sow to early in doors all you get is weak straggly seedlings that are fighting for light for 2 months because there is no where for them to go once theyre up far better to wait until later then you will have much stronger healthier looking plants and particularly with Cucumbers wont be wasting very expensive seed.

Its been pretty cold of late and numerous threads on here are highlighting this problem on a daily basis

The like of B&Q are responsible for this i believe. They get their plants in early every year and it Phsycologically makes people think they should be sowing theres too when in actual fact they shouldn't
Everyone should grow their own veg and know where their food is coming from even if it is only a one pot on a patio or balcony Grow Something!!

Top Cat

Cumcumber leaves wilting
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 12:52 »
ok thanks probably started way too early then and you're right I do see things out in the garden centres and think oh my god I'm late with everything.......plant plant plant !!

matron

Cumcumber leaves wilting
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 13:32 »
I agree fivespud. We have been to foc*s this morning and they have beans, peas etc. I have planted hardly anything yet as too da** cold.
Love your website - you haven't put a plug for this one on it though. It could help a lot of people after they have bought their plants from you.  :wink:

fivespud364

Cumcumber leaves wilting
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 18:07 »
Matron its on my favourite links page has been for Months

matron

Cumcumber leaves wilting
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 21:33 »
Found it.  :oops: Sorry.
I just scrolled to the bottom of the pages as I was looking at the plants.

fivespud364

Cumcumber leaves wilting
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008, 21:54 »
thats ok it was done as a reciprocal link when they agreed to advertise me on their garden plant suppliers list on this site its down as Meadow Park Nursery as we are just in the process of changing everything over to Vegetable Plants Direct because were moving out the house the nursery was named after this week so there is not much point keeping it

xx
wilting celeriac leaves

Started by earthing83 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2010, 17:27
by earthing83
xx
Tomato leaves wilting

Started by upert on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post July 06, 2018, 05:14
by DHM
xx
wilting cucumber leaves

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 18:47
by Totty
xx
Strawberry leaves wilting

Started by bennyjamboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 15, 2011, 19:53
by bennyjamboy

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 35 queries.