Uses for dead trugs?

• 27 Replies

grendel

Re: Uses for dead trugs?
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 13:47 »
So if we see two chaps walking around in pretty, plastic petal hats we'll know who you are!  :lol:
Bill and Ben?
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Agatha

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2012, 13:43 »
I've had several since we got Murphy in September and all have lost a handle when only half full of water, but bought a stronger one from a farm suppliers recently which will last much longer at only twice the price.

Which farm supplier?  Have been trying to find some sturdier ones for years, so would love to know they are still available and where from.
'The love of gardening is a seed that once sown never dies, but always grows and grows to an enduring and ever-increasing source of happiness.'  Gertrude Jekyll

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2012, 16:23 »
I've had several since we got Murphy in September and all have lost a handle when only half full of water, but bought a stronger one from a farm suppliers recently which will last much longer at only twice the price.

Which farm supplier?  Have been trying to find some sturdier ones for years, so would love to know they are still available and where from.

It was a local company, Farm and Pet Place. Most equestrian suppliers seem to sell the brightly coloured cheap variety in various shapes and sizes. ::) Don't know what the world's coming to. What happened to subdued, peaceful colours around the yard?

Paul Plots

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2012, 21:31 »

It was a local company, Farm and Pet Place. Most equestrian suppliers seem to sell the brightly coloured cheap variety in various shapes and sizes. ::) Don't know what the world's coming to. What happened to subdued, peaceful colours around the yard?

I'm still using my dad's old but in good shape wooden one that I bought him years and years ago! A quick brush over with cooking oil every few years keeps it waterproof and in good nick (as we say around here  ;) ).

Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

cricketwidow

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2012, 22:16 »
I have a wire trug bought from a supermarket in France on a booze cruise, it only has one handle with just a wooden grip in  the middle, never had any trouble with it and it does not look like it might break it is currently 5 years old.

rcf100

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2012, 00:10 »
My local farm shop does some made from recycled tyres - very sturdy, I have a shallow one for cleaning out the chicken coop.  Might be worth a google?

Auntiemogs

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2012, 00:34 »
Have broad beans, runners and cues in mine. :-)
Broadbeans.jpg
P5310089.JPG
P5310090.JPG
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

Paul Plots

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2012, 02:01 »
Auntiemogs - what a brilliant idea!  8)

They look wonderfully attractive and serve a very useful purpose.

Your trugs are not what I think of when I visualise a trug. I think of the traditional shallow, open wooden tray with central handle. I guess I'm the only person with the wrong impression here.  ::)

Having seen your photos I would love to copy the idea and provide a couple for my 97 year old father to grow things in. He'd love it!! Easy to reach height wise and they could be plonked close at hand on the patio rather than the very far end of the garden where "we" have a new & developing veg plot.

All I need to do now is read through this thread in the hope of finding out where I can buy a couple asp and cheaply:)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2012, 03:07 »
You're not the only one Paul.  :) My Mum has a wooden trug for gardening but the name seems to fit. These are very useful but for heavy duty work the handles seem to fall off.  ::)
I'm pretty sure you can get them at Tescies online or at the larger Tescies for less than a fiver. They also do a very fetching pink but unfortunately I missed those.  :(
Mine are working out fine so far and are fairly easy to drag around with their one remaining handle.  :lol: The obelisks are from Wilko's.
Ooh, £2.96 or 3 for £7.99. May have to get some more... :D
http://www.tesco.com/direct/search-results/results.page?catId=4294967294+40678&searchquery=tub&SrchId=4294967294
« Last Edit: June 10, 2012, 03:20 by Auntiemogs »

Paul Plots

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2012, 03:31 »
You're not the only one Paul.  :) My Mum has a wooden trug for gardening but the name seems to fit. These are very useful but for heavy duty work the handles seem to fall off.  ::)
I'm pretty sure you can get them at Tescies online or at the larger Tescies for less than a fiver. They also do a very fetching pink but unfortunately I missed those.  :(
Mine are working out fine so far and are fairly easy to drag around with their one remaining handle.  :lol: The obelisks are from Wilko's.
Ooh, £2.96 or 3 for £7.99. May have to get some more... :D
http://www.tesco.com/direct/search-results/results.page?catId=4294967294+40678&searchquery=tub&SrchId=4294967294

Thanks for the help..... really appreciated. I'm positive it would do my father the world of good to get his hands back in the soil instead of just watching me.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2012, 03:43 »
U r welcome hun. Must be very frustrating for your Dad if he's been used to doing it for himself and it's amazing what you can grow in such a small space.  :) (Btw, Just bought 3 pinkies - for that price, was a shame not to!  :D).

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 07:30 »
Tesco and Asda both sell them for less than a fiver, as do many "Country" stores.

grendel

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2012, 10:53 »
at the moment I have about 5 in the garden full of earth, waiting for m to find where it needs to go, I  have been laying paving in the back garden and this is the spoil from where things got levelled up.
Grendel

xx
trugs at aldi

Started by savbo on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 09:25
by savbo
xx
Flexi Rhino tubs (trugs) cheap

Started by sclarke624 on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 18:50
by arugula

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.