Newbie needs help with briggs and stratton

• 4 Replies

Daffy1977

Newbie needs help with briggs and stratton
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:44 »
Hi all, i'm having some trouble with my mothers mower which uses a briggs and stratton (small) engine.  It kept missing so i replaced the diaphragm and cleaned the air filter/spark plug whilst i was at it.  The mower started first time and ran like a dream for about 5 mins and then just cut out!  After trying to start it for a couple of minutes i noticed that the spark plug lead was disconnected so i re-connected it but it still won't start.  I've tried leaving it overnight and cleaning the spark plug again in case i flooded it but i'm still having no luck.  Can anyone help?

Have just been out to try again, cleaned out the blades and the mower started after a few tries, but as soon as i started mowing the lawn it cut out again.  Got it back on the patio and it started again only to cut out on the grass!!  Don't know if its relevant but the blades seem quite stiff to turn manually.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:15 by Daffy1977 »

Gwiz

Re: Newbie needs help with briggs and stratton
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 15:49 »
You don't say what machine your mother has. Is it one of the models with a throttle cable, or is the engine speed set?
How old is the mower? does it have a "dead mans handle"? if so, that could account for why the engine is stiff to turn over (by the way, DO make sure you have disconnected the spark plug first before doing this!! better still, take the plug out. ;)
If you give a few more details, I'll try to help you out. :)

Daffy1977

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 13:56 »
It's a Mountfield mower, approx 2 seasons old.  It has a red handle which you have to hold shut in order to start the mower but this does not adjust the throttle so i'm assuming its the dead man's handle you mentioned.  I guess this means the throttle is set in one place (you may notice i don't know too much about mowers!)

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 14:46 »
Make sure the petrol cap isnt screwed on tightly  ;) i found with mine it produces a vacuum effect after 5 mins running so undid the cap and gentle refitted and the engine runs perfect again  :D

Gwiz

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 18:58 »
I'd put in a new spark plug as a precaution, but it does sound like fuel problems. When you put the new 'phram in, did you clean the pick up filters? that is one of the most common problems on these engines, also, it sounds like one of the cheaper "classic" Brigs models, so they very often have a primer bulb that you need to "squish" 3 times before starting. some times these split and let more air into the engine than is needed.
Also, as Manlea says, you may have a defective fuel cap, it certainly does happen......  :)

xx
Briggs and stratton

Started by Gerry Norris on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2015, 20:54
by jezza
xx
5HP Briggs and Stratton

Started by andygregs156 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 12:32
by Gwiz
xx
Briggs and Stratton 5 hp

Started by Praxxus on Equipment Shed

47 Replies
Last post January 19, 2010, 15:16
by Praxxus
xx
Briggs n stratton.

Started by denbo73 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post February 14, 2007, 17:07
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.