Poorly hen?

• 11 Replies

hoptonboy

Poorly hen?
« on: August 29, 2012, 14:18 »
Hi,

I'm a total novice and got my 5 hens yesterday. They have been wormed and are due to be wormed again in October. 4 are lively, pecking and scratting about and generally seem to be enjoying their new home. however one seems very sorry for herself, she seems to keep herself away from the others, and stands for periods at a time, closing her eyes and not pecking around or anything.

To make matters worse it has thrown it down today and she decided to stand out on the rain so she is bedraggled and wet and has only just gone inside where she stood and put her head under her wing.

Do you think she is poorly or just taking some time to settle in?

Thanks
Novice in all things on this forum!!

kegs

Re: Poorly hen?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 17:19 »
Welcome.  It does sound as if she is poorly.  What breed of chicken are they or are they ex-bats?  Do you know if they were wormed with Flubenvet?  Did you get them from a reputable supplier and were all of the other hens (besides yours) fit and healthy. 

It might be a good idea to contact the person you bought them from and explain the condition of your chicken as they may be willing to exchange it for you as you only got them yesterday.

hoptonboy

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 17:33 »
Hi Yes Flubenvet was the name I was given.

All the birds, including her, all seemed healthy and happy. The breeder (who is reputable!) did warn that they may get a bit down and have snotty noses and eyes in the next two/three days due to the stress of moving, but should be OK after that.

I will keep an eye on her, just that the other four don't seem bothered by the move at all! Maybe she's more sensitive!

Sorry - forgot to say, they are all hybrids: 2 black stars, 2 gingers and 1 light sussex. She is one of the gingers.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 17:34 by hoptonboy »

grinling

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 23:32 »
Are they point of lay or already laying. Have they always been together or in seperate runs? If moving with her mates she should not be really stressed.

kegs

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 09:36 »
How is she today?  Has she managed to eat and drink anything?

hoptonboy

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 19:21 »
I was told they are point of lay, however one is definitely laying, maybe two. I've had five eggs since Tuesday. I thing she's in with her mates so to speak, but I can't be sure as some were in different coops when we picked them up.

She is eating and drinking OK, but not scratting around as much as the others. Her comb etc look a bit pale as well.

Also one of them (not sure it is her) has been doing some horrendous looking poos (ornagey red and runny) not the brown and white semi solids I should be seeing. I have put this down to some tomatoes I fed them but does this ring alarm bells with anyone.

Going to get some flubenvet asap but all websites appear to be sold out - is there a national shortage!?

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks

kegs

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 19:44 »
Check out Aunt Sally's world famous poo pics

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Try www.farmandpetplace.co.uk for Flubenvet (either in the pellets or on its own).
 ;)

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 22:04 »
It does not sound at all right that the chap said (they may get a bit down and have snotty noses and eyes in the next two/three days due to the stress) i would not expect that to happen to new birds i had just bought from my breeder and if they are laying already so soon they are most definately not stressed. Is she hunched in appearance and ruffled, is her eyes closed much? You said that her comb was pale this is natural if they at coming into point of lay not that they will have much of a comb as yet. Do you know the rough age of the birds.

hoptonboy

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 22:06 »
Ah- thanks for that poo chart. Very interesting. And relieving - it appears that they are caecel poos and I assume that's pretty normal then?

Nowhere seems to have the Flubenvet in stock at the moment.

hoptonboy

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 22:09 »
pixieswift - yeah, she is standing still a lot and hunching up a bit. bit of a wet nose, eyes clear and sneezing/coughing (not sure how best to describe) every so often.

I have put some poultry tonic (the red liquid) in the water at the designated rate and fed some grated garlic on bread.

Pixieswift

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 22:17 »
Your little girl does not sound good, i would contact the breeder you bought her from maybe he can give her some Baytril or tylan sounds like she may need it and if he is a large breeder he may give this to his own birds my breeder certainly does, and it will certainly help her sneezing/coughing. How long did you say you have had her?

hoptonboy

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 22:23 »
Just since Tuesday. I'll see how she is tomorrow morning and take it from there, thanks for your help.

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly new mum

Started by fiano60 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 13:41
by joyfull
xx
Help poorly hen!

Started by Shazzer on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post October 10, 2007, 11:12
by muntjac
xx
Poorly hen

Started by AnimalFriend on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 23, 2018, 13:18
by grinling

Page created in 0.356 seconds with 39 queries.