blueberries

• 6 Replies

snow white

blueberries
« on: September 06, 2013, 21:19 »
I keep reading that blueberries need to be planted with other blueberry varieties to produce lots of berries.  Does any know how close together they need to be?  My plot neighbours have three plants about 10 feet from where I am planting mine, so can I get away with one bush?

Sparkyrog

Re: blueberries
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 22:00 »
quite possibly .BUT they do have to be in acid soil  :)
I cook therefore I grow

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 03:12 »
That would be close enough as the bees can pollinate them easily. Just keep them regularly watered and occasionally fed and you should get a nice crop.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 14:09 »
Which variety have you chosen SW? I have just planted Spartan and Ozarkblue in containers. I already have Brigatta which is thriving and Chandler which really struggles each winter. Earliblue didn’t make it.

carlotta

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 15:01 »
I have just planted 3 blueberry bushes planted in an old bath..... As I saw that Bob flowerdue grows his this way. He also has a  toilet that is growing bog  myrtle.....but I am not going that far  :lol:

snow white

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 15:35 »
Bought Patriot and a bag of ericacous soil.  My next job to excavate my soil and replace it. ::)

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 14:11 »
I have 6 varieties, all in quite large patio pots, planted last autumn. Rubel, Spartan, Earliblue, Chandler, Bluecrop and Pink Champagne I think its called (a so called pinkberry). I have them in 2 groups of 3, close by each other. But I lost one quite suddenly in the summer for unknown reasons though I suspect one of my cats decided to pee in it as they've always shown a lot of interest in the rather nice cat-toilet-esque properties of the soft ericaceous compost and rotting pine need mix I planted them in. I also water them with rainwater only and gave them a few feeds again with ericaceous liquid feed. Those that survived have done well and all have had a few berries this year which was more than I had expected in year 1. Spartan has grown the most and had the most fruit - around a large punnetful I'd say. Hopefully next year there will be a lot more.

xx
Blueberries.

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 21, 2011, 19:07
by Brambles
xx
Blueberries

Started by Smudgeboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2007, 19:20
by Ray
xx
Blueberries

Started by Elaine G on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 31, 2012, 13:55
by Plot74
xx
Blueberries

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2011, 14:27
by JohnB47

Page created in 0.343 seconds with 39 queries.