Quail. A few Q's.

• 14 Replies

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Quail. A few Q's.
« on: August 08, 2012, 09:11 »
Yesterday I acquired some quial, 3 Italian (1 is male) and 2 white. I'm told they are young and will grow a bit bigger than they are at the moment but don't know their actual age.

I am feeding them a mix of layers mash and chick crumb (ACS free), is that ok?

What can I do to make sure they are happy and healthy?

They are in a 4ft rabbit hutch at the moment as that is all I had empty yesterday. I will be able to move them into a broody coop once I've merged the chicks into one group. Don't want to buy them a new home just yet as I'm unsure if they will be staying or passing them on. Will see how we get on with them first.  :unsure:

splash101

Re: Quail. A few Q's.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:30 »
They will be fully grown at 4-5 weeks old. The white ones you wont be able to sex until a bit later.

I feed mine on chick crumb and later onto chicken layers pellets. they also have a pot of seeds (they live in a large walk in run that they share with a couple of aviary birds who try to pinch their food)

You can buy quail mix but i can only find 1 supplier 15 miles away and it was very expensive.  i looked at the ingrediants and it was chick crumb and a mix of bird seed.

I worm them at the same time i worm the chickens with the same method (Flube/pellet mixture)

You can offer them fruit etc but mine ignore it

They can and do fly which you will need to be careful with because if they take flight in the rabbit hutch they will hit the roof at force which can kill them.

If the white ones turn out to be males they will fight aggresively with the other males (probably not until they are sexually mature which doesnt take long 6-8 weeks plus)

They like nook and crannies to hide / escape in, Plant pots, sandcastle buckets  :D (well my children are much older now) under piles of leaves. (and mine lay eggs in the most difficult to reach places)

Check frequently for lice and bugs etc

They love a sandbath and they dont roost at night.

They are funny little creatures, always on the go  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 13:09 »
Mine like to peck at carrot and I give them budgie grit as they don't have access to open ground at the moment.  I feed Marriages quail micro pellets but know that they would be fine on layers pellets/mash.

Keep an eye on their feet as they are very prone to toe balling.  This is when poo gets dried on to their claws and can result in them losing the claw.  Never try to pull the ball off as it will damage the foot.  Soak their feet in warm soapy water until softened and make sure they are dried off so they don't get cold.

Fighting is a major problem so it is handy to have a small bird cage for either the injured or the bully.  Purple spray is also a must and I have used cornflour on open wounds as suggested by Joyfull.

Don't be put off as they are lovely little birds and their eggs are really nice.  Once you get into a routine you will be able to enjoy keeping them.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:16 »
They are really easy to keep and mine have been excellent layers during the summer. It is really useful to have a dozen quails eggs when you want just a little something as a thank you. People really appreciate it and more so because you have raised the birds. Visitors prefer my quail to my hens and ducks!

I do feed on ACS free chick crumb as it is higher in protein than layers and is more suited. I also give a'strand' of millet every week and give budgie grit.

Re height of accommodation - my research indicated a minimum height of 18" and mine have 2' but I did lose one to a probable broken neck 3 years ago presumably from flying up and hitting the top of the run too hard. My others have been fine.

Enjoy :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:45 »
They are really easy to keep and mine have been excellent layers during the summer. It is really useful to have a dozen quails eggs when you want just a little something as a thank you. People really appreciate it and more so because you have raised the birds. Visitors prefer my quail to my hens and ducks!

I do feed on ACS free chick crumb as it is higher in protein than layers and is more suited. I also give a'strand' of millet every week and give budgie grit.

Re height of accommodation - my research indicated a minimum height of 18" and mine have 2' but I did lose one to a probable broken neck 3 years ago presumably from flying up and hitting the top of the run too hard. My others have been fine.

Enjoy :)

What effect does the chick crumb have on the egg shell quality?

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:10 »
Thank you all. The quail seem to have settled in well so far and are eating loads!  :lol:
How old are they when they start to lay, this might give me an indication of their age as non of them have laid and egg while I've had them.  Is their lay cycle the same as a chickens or more frequent?

splash101

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 11:37 »
we get an egg a day from all of the females. It will drop off in winter due to the low light levels.

mine all seem to lay late afternoon / early evening, dont know if that is the norm'

I think they can start laying around 8 weeks or so but like chickens i suppose it varies. (My italian males start trying it on with the older ladies at 6 weeks old so that might be another indication of age.)

they can be a bit tempremental sometimes with egg laying, if they move home or if there are too many males that can cause them to stop laying. Once they are settled and conditions are right they will lay every day.

Sassy, i like the idea of giving the eggs as thank you's, makes a change from jam or chutney which i try to keep all to myself  :D. I cant get Medicated free chick crumb so thats why i feed them pellets when they are a bit older.

ANHBUC, the shell is quite sturdy on whatever i seem to feed them (it would have to be as they play football with the eggs sometimes)

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 11:49 »
That's really helpful as the male is trying his luck with the girls although they all run away from him. :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 11:54 »
You need to keep an eye on them as I had a male attacking the females.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=88397.0

The attacks were at night so you don't know anything until you check them in the morning.  The females all recovered but I had to dispatch the male after he did not change his ways.  I think he must have had a taste for blood.   :(

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 08:24 »
Re feeding chick crumb and egg shell quality, I find it is not a problem. Quail egg shells are not known for their toughness but the membrane is tough and this makes them more difficult to peel - character building in fact!! :wacko:

ANHBUC

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 16:37 »
Thanks might try them on chick crumb when my last lot runs out.   :D

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2012, 08:55 »
Thanks might try them on chick crumb when my last lot runs out.   :D
I think I'll do the same. I only bought them a 5kg bag of mash  so going by the way they eat it shouldn't last too long.  :lol:

ANHBUC

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2012, 12:04 »
When cleaning them out you will probably fine loads in their shavings.  They tend to flick it all over. 

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2012, 12:08 »

I cant get Medicated free chick crumb so thats why i feed them pellets when they are a bit older.

Ask your local suppliers if they can get organic chick crumb (Allen and Page organic feed) - their feed is unmedicated and they do the chick crumb in 3kg bags and 20 kg bags see here.  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

splash101

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2012, 12:19 »
Thanks Joyfull, i asked my local supplier and they said they dont stock it but would get me some but it never materialised. i'll take a look at the link

xx
Any one got quail or had them ???

Started by Lottieluv on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 12:10
by Kate and her Ducks
exclamation
quail

Started by jarrode0 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 11:22
by woodside farm
xx
Quail help

Started by coughdrop on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post May 28, 2011, 21:46
by daisy1990
xx
Quail ~ Why ??

Started by Bigblacktaximan on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post October 25, 2009, 12:43
by Bigblacktaximan

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 40 queries.