new hen

• 11 Replies

andy46

• Experienced Member
new hen
« on: August 05, 2012, 16:42 »
I have bought two chickens three weeks ago and now want to buy another one. there is one thing that is bothering me, will the two girls i have both 21 weeks and just starting laying  now accept the new one i want without to much trouble. i am getting them from the same farm. any advice please!!!
Pull up a perch!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: new hen
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 16:49 »
The two you already have will have established some sort of pecking order already, so they will need to do that again as and when you introduce new ones. Its a shame you didn't get the third at the same time...
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Taylor40

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 17:12 »
Where I got my hens they won't sell a single hen. You need to buy at least two. I think it's because a single hen would likely get picked on more...

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 19:54 »
Wish i had bought three now. Think i will leave it as i dont want to cause unrest now i have got my girls settled in. Thanks for the help

Taylor40

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 21:08 »
It's not that bad to be honest. I kept my new girls in a big dog crate inside the run so they could see each other but be apart. Then at bedtime popped them into the coop. Never had any problem. A little bit of pecking to re-establish their pecking order but nothing to worry about. Within a few days they were all quite happy.

Sassy

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 07:37 »
Could you get 2 new ones? Always best to keep new stock separately for a couple or three weeks to ensure not carrying anything that could be passed to your existing hens. Then keep within sight and sound of the older hens before putting them in together as suggested by Taylor40. When put together add extra feeding and watering stations as this is what is likely to cause the most spats. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Prod

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:16 »
I got 2 new girls recently (from the same breeder) and after checking them I just put them all in together. From the first night the 2 new girls were going in the coop on their own accord and the only problems I have is a) the cockerel is being a bit amourous towards them but they just run away and b) they havent worked out Grandpa's Feeder yet so  I put in a bit of extra food. Other than that ---  no probs  though I was advised not to introduce a single younger hen

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 19:20 »
A cockerel will keep order between new hens and old. :)

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 22:00 »
Sassy he may keep the girls in check but not the neihbours lol :D :D :D

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 07:55 »
Very wise :lol:

kegs

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47 »
Under normal circumstances I would agree with the comments above.  However, in this case you've only had your girls 3 weeks and as the chicken you want to buy will be coming from the same place you may find that they get on well together, as well has having received the same vaccinations so you probably won't have to quarantine them.  As Sassy said if you can buy 2 rather than one this may make all the difference.

I lost a chicken to a prolapse within a week of buying them so went back to buy 2 new chickens from the same supplier, put them all in together and had no problem at all.

If you do, just make sure you put out extra feeders and drinkers, just in case.

andy46

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 23:06 »
Thanks kegs but have decided against it even though they would have been from the same farm. Dont want to worry my two girls as they have settled in so well and enjoying themselves.

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 39 queries.