IBC/water question

• 13 Replies

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
IBC/water question
« on: December 19, 2014, 23:10 »
Hi folks, can anyone advise me on this.  We don't have a council run allotment, just a chunk of land up the village with no water on hand so we managed to get hold on an Ibc (big square plastic thing, apparently that's what they are called) which holds 1000litres.  We feed rainwater off the shed guttering into it.  We have just had our first year growing stuff and as you can imagine it took a lot of rain to get any amount in the Ibc as we didn't get it in place until spring at the end of a very wet period and the start of a very dry one! So my question is, should we drain it all off for the winter? OH says it won't hurt if it freezes as it isn't full...but there's also the question of it sitting there stewing and not being constantly renewed.  We have black plastic around it to prevent the sun turning the water green in summer.  Seems a shame to let it all go, and have to start from scratch again when we don't know how wet spring will be.  It was essential last summer.  Any Thoughts? Thanks.! ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: IBC/water question
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2014, 02:15 »
How big is the shed roof?  From that you could calculate how much rain is needed to fill the IBC - and from that you could decide to leave it empty until XXX and still have time to get it filled ready for the growing season.

If you put this in Google it will calculate how many inches of rain are needed to fill it.  Adjust the size of the shed roof to suit (and use metric units if you prefer :) )

1000 litres / (6 feet x 10 feet) in inches =

For that size, 6' x 10', shed it needs 7" of rain which is about 3 - 4 months here, so assuming you start watering in May you might need to start collecting water in January - unless you have a bigger shed, but if you do perhaps you should get a second IBC and link the two together? :)

Growster...

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2014, 05:56 »
We have two 1000 litre IBCs, which are filled from the roof of a shed about 7' x 8'. I emptied both of them a few months ago, to get them up on to a better foundation of concrete blocks, and yes, there was some muck in the bottom, but nothing to worry about!

One filled again by the end of November, and the other is about a sixth full, so they'll both be up to the brim by next spring!

Don't worry about them freezing, as they're very flexible inside their metal cages, but watch the tap as it might freeze, and will not turn. It could break if you're not careful!

While we were beginning to get a bit concerned about running out of water this past year, there really was no need, as it does rain occasionally, doesn't it! (but we also have an old bath, four butts and another smaller one for liquid feeding...)

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 10:57 »
I was worried about them splitting but that seems ok. For the tap, you can lag it with foam piping stuff or buy one of those lagging devices you use on outdoor water taps.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

3759allen

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 19:09 »
personally i think there's too much of an issue made about sitting water, after all we aren't drinking it.

having said that you would prob be able to get plenty of water over winter to fill it again if you did want to empty and clean.

or i suppose look at what is left in the bottom when the levels low enough and drain and clean if needed.

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 19:34 »
Don't worry my 2 take all winter to fill then all summer to empty. You are watering the plants with eat it not drinking it.
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

ex-cavator

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 19:52 »
There's no issue at all with leaving rainwater in the IBC for as long as you like before using it - what harm can it possibly do? The water will contain various nutrients picked up from the atmosphere and from your shed roof & guttering, and various microorganisms including bacteria, amoebae, protozoa, algae, and maybe a few higher organisms will utilise these nutrients whilst feeding off one another and any other organic material that may make its way in there such as leaves, snails, and other invertebrates.

You'll have quite a little ecosystem going in there but basically it's pretty much a closed community and can only ever contain what got in there in the first place - so if you put nothing nasty in, you won't get anything nasty out. The nutrient content may change from one molecular form to another through biological or chemical action, bacterial action will result in the formation of humus solids or sludge in the bottom, and septic (anaerobic) conditions caused by lack of dissolved oxygen particularly in the sludge layer may result in a rancid odour, but at the end of the day (year) the overall nutrient balance remains the same and is available, in one form or another, to be assimilated into growth when you eventually put it on your plants.

So I would only bother changing it if it builds up solids or collects leaves and debris to the point it risks blocking the tap. Think of it not as water, but as a harmless nutrient (and nutritious) soup for your plants ;) 

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 20:29 »
Well said ex-cavator

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 19:24 »
We've had ours for about 10 years, never emptied it.  When it gets too full, I just empty some out over the garden.  It has never split, and when it got VERY green, I bought some stuff from B&Q that clears the water, but as the others have said, its only for watering plants.

Good luck with getting it filled.  Ours doesn't take too long to fill as its attached to Brian's 20ft long workshop!   :lol:

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 21:27 »
I suppose I only would get concerned if the gunge at the bottom didn't get out though the tap...

IBCs are great, well done for having one, and just carry on regardless!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 09:56 »
If planning to use drip-irrigation I think the muck in the IBC might matter, but other than that I would not be worried.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 17:13 »
Thanks everyone, feel happy to leave it now, don't know how I would clean it anyhow, when we first got it it came to our house and we had to clean it as it had had something nasty in it (a bargain second hand)and it was a real job even with the hosepipe.  Then we had to get friendly neighbour to get it up the allotment with his tractor and trailer.  Put it on a base and there it's staying!  I will protect the tap though Growster, good tip thanks.  We should be able to get it full if we connect it up again soon, it will be much needed come spring/summer.  Can't wait to get growing again! Merry Christmas everyone if it's not too late to say that, and Happy New Year! ;)

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2014, 19:04 »
No problem at all Just dont let it be full when and if it freezes.. In winter I drain and keep mine to about half.. but I have a greenhouse, shed and leanto to fill mine.. and I have council water so no hassles with water anyway. It does get blackish gunge in the bottom and every couple of years I sluice it out with the hosepipe on jet setting.. But you dont have piped water so just dont worry.. I have mine on pallets so I can fit my watering cans under with ease. 
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2014, 19:46 »
Thank you, BumbleJo!

They really are benign old things, and there are several on our allotments, which haven't even been emptied for several years, so just 'collect and be happy'!

And a Happy New Year to you as well!

xx
water or not to water this is the question????

Started by lottienewbie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 17:47
by Goosegirl
xx
when to water question

Started by DellDGM on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post December 06, 2007, 22:01
by gobs
xx
Water butt with chicken manure question

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 12:01
by Tenhens
xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.342 seconds with 36 queries.