when to water question

• 16 Replies

DellDGM

• Location: Australia- South Australia trying organic gardening
    • http://farmintheburbs.blogspot.com/
when to water question
« on: December 05, 2007, 09:37 »
I was just wondering what would be better -
Todays was 29 degrees tomorrow 37 and the next 26 would it be better for my veggies to water tonight to make sure they were nice and wet soiled for tomorrows weather or would it be better to wait until after tomorrow and water tomorrow night? :?
Dell
Spending time between the garden and the munchkins!
http://farmintheburbs.blogspot.com/

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
when to water question
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2007, 09:39 »
You're asking us - with our climate! :lol:

Why not water both nights?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Cynara

• Experienced Member
when to water question
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2007, 09:44 »
He's just trying to make us envious, and it's working   :cry:  :cry:  :evil:

gobs

when to water question
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2007, 09:50 »
Don't be, 37 is getting a bit tooooooo much. :wink:

I would be an after girl, if you only can do once.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

WG.

when to water question
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2007, 10:10 »
I'd go for watering before the 'hot one'.  I assume that you have a mulch cover of some kind to keep the water in.

DellDGM

when to water question
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2007, 13:10 »
thanks guys - sorry I disappeared one of my daughters freinds mum just went to hopital after oding on pain pills so a bit chaotic here.

trust me don't be envious its only the 6th day of summer tomorrow and we have already had more that 15 days over 35 and 6 over 37.  

I do have mulch and we can only water 3 hours a week unfortuanley it is now to late to water before hand so I will just have to cross my fingers and hope I don't loose to many plants tomorrow and water tomorrow night.  

I lost my bush beans last week when we had 10 days straigh over 30 and some hitting 38 - Oh i wish for the rain and the cold right now. :lol:

fatbelly

Re: when to water question
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2007, 18:47 »
Quote from: "DellDGM"
Today's was 29 degrees tomorrow 37 and the next 26 would it be better for my veggies to water tonight to make sure they were nice and wet soiled for tomorrows weather or would it be better to wait until after tomorrow and water tomorrow night? :?

Can someone please advise me, it is blinking freezing here in Cheshire with rain and wind.
Should I put two jumpers on or three.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

gobs

when to water question
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2007, 19:46 »
How would that 3 hours a week be checked, then? Is it hosing, you mean?

How do you use that? Are you using grey water?

I'm not surprised you are loosing plants! Some shallow rooted stuff should really be watered in that heat every day. Could you not shade your crop on days of extreme heat, in gazebo style, kind of a floating mulch, using green fine netting kind of stuff :?:

Didn't you say you had raised beds? If so, I think they add to your problem. :(

DellDGM

when to water question
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 21:12 »
my rasied beda are really only about 15cm off the ground - its more of a border than a raised bed.

the only town water is 3 hours on a dripper system 1 a week  in specified times - it is on the honor system but they have a hotline for people to ring up and "dob in a neighbour" (can you believe it) as well as there are inspectors who wander around checking no one is using sprinklers etc and you can get fines and after so many fines they reduce the pressure of your water ( I don;t think this has actually happened , I think that is just a threat)

gobs

when to water question
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2007, 21:20 »
my rasied beda are really only about 15cm off the ground - its more of a border than a raised bed.

the only town water is 3 hours on a dripper system 1 a week  in specified times - it is on the honor system but they have a hotline for people to ring up and "dob in a neighbour" (can you believe it) as well as there are inspectors who wander around checking no one is using sprinklers etc and you can get fines and after so many fines they reduce the pressure of your water ( I don;t think this has actually happened , I think that is just a threat)

I can believe it :!:  Water is precious at most times, especially when there is not too much of it.

So how do you economise with your ration?

DellDGM

when to water question
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 08:18 »
at the moment there are no restrictions for inside use but out side they stopped all watering until recently they gave us back three hours once a week with a dripper system only.  Its not to bad I just have to wait until the kids bath has cooled down and I water can it out to the garden - with 5 kids that gives me a fair bit of water.

we are only on level 3 restrictions here in parts of queensland they are on level six - I can't imagine what thats like

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
when to water question
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 08:50 »
Do you collect rain water Dell  :?:   I have a cousin at Boyland and they have HUGE tanks for rain water as they have no mains water at all  :!:

gobs

Re: when to water question
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 10:01 »
Quote from: "fatbelly"
Today's was 29 degrees tomorrow 37 and the next 26 would it be better for my veggies to water tonight to make sure they were nice and wet soiled for tomorrows weather or would it be better to wait until after tomorrow and water tomorrow night? :?

Can someone please advise me, it is blinking freezing here in Cheshire with rain and wind.
Should I put two jumpers on or three.

I considered this problem, FB, I think best to go for two in the day time and three for the night. But then it depends really, when you are personally more active. :D

DellDGM

when to water question
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2007, 10:47 »
Do you collect rain water Dell  I have a cousin at Boyland and they have HUGE tanks for rain water as they have no mains water at all

We are only on a small suburban block and when we bought the house there was no rainwater tank - we are currently looking for a rainwater tank that will fit in the small spot we have near the down pipes but due to the drought rainwater tank prices have also gone through the roof.  I am collecting all the water I can in containers when it does rain but we haven't seen any of that recently.

WG.

when to water question
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 12:40 »
with a dripper system only.  
I was going to ask if you used drip irrigation 'cos it uses far less water than a sprinkler on top of mulch.

xx
water or not to water this is the question????

Started by lottienewbie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 17:47
by Goosegirl
xx
IBC/water question

Started by BumbleJo on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post December 26, 2014, 19:46
by Growster...
xx
Water butt with chicken manure question

Started by Tenhens on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 04, 2015, 12:01
by Tenhens
xx
I learned Today That Anglia Water are Not Turning On Our Allotment Water Supply

Started by NN2Blue on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post April 06, 2012, 09:48
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 36 queries.