Compost used for Potatoes in Bags

• 7 Replies

Marcus10

Compost used for Potatoes in Bags
« on: July 15, 2012, 10:57 »
Hi, I have just emtied my first lot of earlies which I grew in bags with a multi purpose compost along wioth some potato fertilizer. The potatoes seemed disease free and I got approx 1lb of new spuds from each tuber (4lb in all). Very happy, but I did not know what to expect as it is my first attemt.

The question I have is whether i can re-use the compost if I sieve off the roots. Obviously it will have lost some of its nutrients but I can always add feed or mix it. Just wanted to check whether this would be ok or if it is a no, no?

Also these were rocket potatoes (yes, I have read that they are not a great eat!). I planted them out on the 28th April follwing chitting (so 11 weeks ago). I also planted a bag of Charlotte and a bag of Vivaldi at the same time. Has anyone got any ideas and to how long I would expect to wait from here before emtying the next bag (which I think will be Charlotte?)

Thanks. (from a wide eyed novice!) :)

Trillium

Re: Compost used for Potatoes in Bags
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 13:22 »
When we grow potatoes in the field, even if the spuds are disease free, we still rotate every single year because with potatoes, viruses and such can build up quickly without being visible for a bit. Growbags would be the same.

Do not grow the potatoes in the same soil/bag as this year's crop because although you can scrape out a bit and replenish the feed, you cannot remove any hidden viruses. You can add more manure and use thegrowbags for another crop (not tomatoes which are the same family), and start a fresh growbag for potatoes, or one that hasn't had potatoes for 2 years or more.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 13:34 by Trillium »

hushda24

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 13:28 »
Most will say its a no no .
But i allways reuse my compost & feed it with fish & blood& bone and replant more spuds etc..
Its so exspensive now days and saving a good 50 pounds appeals to me :)
I have never had a problem yet  :mellow:
But i do fully understand why we should not do it.
Its your choice end of day  :D

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 13:36 »
You don't have to dispose of the growbag, but it's a good idea to rotate all crops in growbags, whether they are potatoes or not because many veg have related diseases and pests that can quickly build up with continued use with one specific veg.

Ivor Backache

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 13:42 »
Q1:My short answer is yes. I grow potatoes in pots followed by carrots. I too grew rocket (and i agree with your comment).  I empty the soil into a wheel barrow add a double handful of compost and a handful of poultry manure. The pots all now have carrot seedlings. I agree with the comments on rotation, but compost is getting expensive, and in my case fillling 20 pots of it every year is a financial no no.

Q2. Charlotte are 2nd earlies and I would say 13 weeks plus or minus. I too have Charlotte but in the allotment. I have noticed the folliage going a yellowy green so as soon as the earlies are finished I will start on them. My understanding of Charlotte is to eat them young. If they are allowed to get too big their texture and taste changes.

Marcus10

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 13:54 »
Thanks for all your replies. very helpful. I should I have made myself clear, they are not normal  grow bags but green square (almost barrel shaped) potato bags, a little like our green recycling bags but with holes in the bottom.  I had no intention of using the compost for potatoes (or Toms) again, but perhaps some salad leaves, or carrots etc

I have sieved it out now and added a little bit of some loam based John Innes (to add feed) and a some bonemeal to it. I will give it a go but with something which I don't mind losing!

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 15:51 »
As long as you are not planting the same family of veg, and you have added nutrients, I don't see why you can't use it for other things.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 18:03 »
^ what Goosegirl said  :D

xx
Tea bags in compost ?

Started by Sleepingpopman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 09, 2018, 23:45
by DHM
xx
potatoes in bags

Started by shankers on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post February 24, 2011, 15:48
by mrsparkle
xx
potatoes in bags

Started by Wildeone on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 12, 2008, 11:00
by woodburner
xx
Potatoes in bags.

Started by Ziggymole on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2013, 07:59
by Ziggymole

Page created in 0.341 seconds with 40 queries.