looking back

• 10 Replies

rowlandwells

looking back
« on: December 31, 2020, 12:59 »
 i thought that Topic by John how things have changes was very true how things are going in todays world i have to say i don't read as many books but one book that i really like reading is The Countryside Remembered by Sadie Ward well being a country boy wouldn't that make perfect reading

the pictures take one back  when country life was at a more leisurely pace and although only a boy in the fifties the book does go back a bit before that so that's a bit before my time and although  working on the land was hard work and not much pay but the camaraderie that these folks had was all part of the then village life some mite say hard times but that was how it was in those days

people had time to pass the time of day with you and sit and have a cup of tea or sometimes a jug of beer
supplied by the farmer when  haymaking or harvesting the time when people actually said good morning or good afternoon when passing unlike today when people pass by heads down as though your not there

when i was a boy you knew everyone in the village and the either knew  you or you parents and your grandparents but over the years our village like most has grown at an alarming rate and unfortunately some folks  that have decided to take up village life treat  the village  more of a commuter place  than a village if that makes sense but that's another story

so back to my book it depicts rural life as it was together with both the English countryside and Agricultural history of days gone by a poignant portrait of the way of life that has vanished for ever

i recommend reading  this book if you can get a copy and curl by the fire and enjoy reading the book in these dark and dismal days when there's not much ells to do use you imagination to go back in time where villages where part of rural life rather than today as a commuter base for most

and I'm sure you have your own stories of life where you live and how its changed in your lifetime

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: looking back
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2020, 13:56 »
Sounds good RW.
Another book, about farming over the last few generations is The Shepherd's Life by James Rebanks.

Lovely evocative writing. I loved it so much, that I also got his more recent one, English Pastoral.

rowlandwells

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2020, 14:28 »
I think I may have heard of those  books somewhere anyway I will chase those books up thanks for that info Mum

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2020, 14:50 »
I just ordered the book you recommended  :)

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 00:49 »
Me too, Rowland - looks interesting
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

rowlandwells

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 13:38 »
 can you both let me know what you think of it. i think it depicts rural life as it was i love looking back at those sort of things because it reminds me of my younger life

one thing i mite add I'm a collector of vintage tractors and one we own i remember coming new to the local farm in 1955 a Ferguson T20 sadly there's only one chap left in the village who drove it from new back then

the first vintage tractor i had was bought for me by my late mother and my wife something i cherish and use on the allotments and all though its done many years service before we had it .it still erns its keep 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 19:44 »
I'll let you know, Rowland - looking forward to it arriving.

sunnywillow

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 20:01 »
Just ordered the book, Rowland - sounds very interesting. Love reading about past farming life & how villages were self-sufficient.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 15:30 »
My copy arrived today - lovely book. I've only skimmed it so far but one to settle down with of an evening by the fire.
Thanks for the suggestion.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 15:41 »
Mine has arrived, as well  :D

rowlandwells

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2021, 15:50 »
I'm glad you've received your books let me know if your pleased with this book because i have another book you mite be interested in RW

xx
They're back!

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post May 20, 2019, 12:28
by mrs bouquet
xx
Back Job !

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post December 13, 2018, 07:53
by snowdrops
xx
Back in the day

Started by RubyRed on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post January 10, 2019, 03:13
by sunshineband
xx
'Genesis' getting back together again...?

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2020, 10:03
by Fairy Plotmother

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 39 queries.