Debit cards and ATMs

• 10 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Debit cards and ATMs
« on: December 11, 2018, 09:30 »
A constant problem once the debit card has been in my wallet for a couple of years. It just doesn't register on any of our local ATMs and I have to use the Post Office where a rub on my coat sleeve usually does the trick. It's obviously getting coated with muck in the wallet, but how to prevent it? Anyone else found this a problem?

Lardman

Re: Debit cards and ATMs
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 09:47 »
Is the chip coated in muck or is the card slightly bent?

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 09:57 »
Yes, it looks slightly grubby but not bent in any way. Reluctant to use any sort of cleaning agent other than soap and water. This seems to do the trick for Post Office readers but outside ATMs must be much more sensitive

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 10:18 »
I'd just ring up and get a new one, after doing your Christmas shopping, of course  :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 10:32 »
Ask Santa for a new wallet?  :unsure:  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 11:06 »
I'd just ring up and get a new one, after doing your Christmas shopping, of course  :lol:
Already done that. Question is, how do I prevent it happening again? Should I use something more aggressive than soap and water to clean them? Can you buy some sort of cover to provide additional protection in my back-pocket wallet?

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 14:12 »
Buy a little card holder for it and any other cards, vouchers or small things you don't want to lose.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

madcat

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 16:43 »
Is it the mag stripe that is failing, or the chip set in the card?  Neither will like it if you keep it close to your phone - I used to regularly wreck my Visa card by slipping it into my jacket pocket next to my phone.  When I did it to a train ticket (mag stripe on that!) it was the final embarrassing straw, I really had to change my ways.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 17:28 »
I've no idea whether it's the chip or the magnetic strip that fails. Can't be caused by my phone as that lives firmly in the car. Credit and Debit cards live in my wallet in my back pocket but it's only my Debit card that gives me this problem
All I can tell you is that the ATM spits it out but the card-reader in the Post Office, which is where I'm now obliged to get cash, accepts it if I vigorously wipe it on my sleeve. Should have a new one this week but I'm intrigued as to why all this happens. More to the point, how to avoid it in future?

Christine

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 15:26 »
I wouldn't dare to crack back pocket jokes but would suggest that another pocket might be better. Especially if the container holding the cards gets a bit bent or shoved around.  ;)

MarkC

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 16:57 »
Sometimes react with other cards in your wallet unless they are separated. I used to have problems with hotel key cards if I shoved them in my wallet with my debit/credit cards.

xx
Pay as you go and Sim cards.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

18 Replies
Last post June 05, 2021, 08:59
by Welsh Merf
xx
Fuel cards

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post February 08, 2022, 14:33
by snowdrops
xx
Twinkle on Christmas Cards

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post December 22, 2019, 10:31
by Goosegirl
xx
5 things I hate about Christmas cards.

Started by JayG on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post December 20, 2018, 11:44
by wapello

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 37 queries.