Storing potato seeds for sowing in June/July

• 8 Replies

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
« on: January 28, 2007, 21:45 »
Hi All... I want to store some of my 'Rocket' (first earlies) potato seeds for sowing after I lift the first crop in June/July. How would be best to store them?
:mrgreen:   GAZ   :mrgreen:

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 21:47 »
can i ask why? tatties usually all go i same time and grow at thier own pace  :)
still alive /............

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 21:53 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
can i ask why? tatties usually all go i same time and grow at thier own pace  :)

Hi muntjac - I'm growing stuff in containers, and I'm very limited for space, so I thought I could pop some more seeds in when I lift the first crop of spuds, and hopefully have some new potatoes for Christmas!  :?

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 21:56 »
i think you best keep them in the dark n cool mate . if ya short of containers use black bin liners  :wink:

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2007, 22:01 »
:x Its floor space that I'm short of! The wife is complaining that she will have nowhere to hang out the washing coz I'm putting containers everywhere! Good idea though about the black bin liners!  :)

muntjac

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2007, 22:10 »
oh well now we are talking tiers here . i made a tier system with 3 troughs for an ex girlfriend she wanted to grow herbs on he flat balcony
 it was basically 3 troughs  on a a frame it was 3 ft long 6 inch wide and 6 inch deep troughs

supersprout

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 10:30 »
I took on my plot in May 2004 and the first pressie from a new lottie neighbour was some spuds to sow in June for a Christmas feast. First time I'd ever heard of it - did it and it (nearly) worked! I'm not complaining about spuds in November :lol:

His chitted spuds looked like nothing on earth, great long white chits all in a tangle. They grew well. I'm going to keep back some Amandine and Rocket for June planting this year too - will try keeping them very cool, and in the dark, but somewhere they can breathe (mesh or paper sack). I think I'll check from time to time and if they are growing great chits, rub em off and start again, and/or bring them into the light and cool - that seems to slow down sprout growth. Well worth the experiment for a few spuds@ Christmas :D

denbo73

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 19:39 »
HI all, i grew some pentland first early last june and pulled em crimbo morning had no probs at all,They was nice though. :D

O i kept em in a dark cool place to store em, got a old cool box in me shed and that worked great :wink:  But dont put any ice in. :lol:

brendit

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 15:52 »
I tried this last year and lost the lot to potato blight.    The first two parts went well though ...

1. Put your seed potatoes in the fridge now - before they show any real sign of awakening from their winter sleep.

2. Keep them there, in the dark.  (Yes the fridge light does go off when you close the door)

3. Plant early enough to allow them to mature.

I planted in mid-July and everything would have been fine except for the blight attack.  I am organic so you may have more luck if you aren't.

Brenda

xx
what to sow in may, june, july

Started by gorymorph on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 16:52
by Kristen
xx
june sowing

Started by amurdin on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 25, 2012, 17:27
by lazza
xx
Storing seeds

Started by Steamairy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 15, 2008, 15:07
by Trillium
xx
Storing Seeds

Started by Plot22 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2009, 06:41
by celjaci

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 39 queries.