• Global Moderator
New allotment t&cs
« on: January 04, 2020, 10:38 »
Proposals include this
waste materials that are prohibited from being brought on site include:
Vegetation and garden waste brought from an external source
Food waste
Composting:
Only non-diseased garden waste created on the allotment site can be used in compost bins.  Compost bins should be free of any other waste. 

at the moment all my lawn mowings and veg peelings go in the daleks on the plot - so this makes no sense at all to me. Anyone else have this rule?
« Last Edit: January 04, 2020, 10:46 by mumofstig »

Eblana

Re: New allotment t&cs
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2020, 10:44 »
No sense to that.  All my grass and compostable waste from home goes in the compost heap on my plot.  We do have the usual rule of no cooked food or meat products allowed but that is it.

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2020, 11:28 »
No sense to that.  All my grass and compostable waste from home goes in the compost heap on my plot.  We do have the usual rule of no cooked food or meat products allowed but that is it.

Seconding, does the person who made this up not understand about how composting works? Are they an actual plot holder or council worker who doesn't know about allotments? If you bringing your lawn clippings up hasn't caused a problem before then what has changed? Are they worried about rats or introduced pests? Get them to explain and vindicate their reasons and challenge them. If rats or mice are a problem then why prove your the source of the problem? Why not tell you about it since Wiel's disease is a thing and ask you to trap them or let them into trap them?

To answer your question we weren't told our allotment's rules. Other than being told that the man in charge doesn't like it when don't cultivate your plot and will take it off you if you don't. We get no support, no manure deliveries, there's no shop and we're left to it. Except for the vandal thief plot holder. I'd like them to leave us to it since we can't afford the high fences and padlocks of some of the other plot holders have installed.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2020, 13:07 »
I can sort of understand the no importation of vegetation and garden waste from another source - it's preventing people bringing in disease from elsewhere or - as we have on my site - someone who I think is a professional gardener who puts their business waste on the plot (resulting in little actual cultivation room).

I would also agree with eblana's post about not bringing on cooked or meat waste, in order to prevent rats.

But it's daft to prevent you from bringing in peelings etc  As Eblana says, time for some questions to understand the rationale behind the new T&Cs, and to challenge them appropriately.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 13:22 »
M O S, just ask you Council what they do with there grass clipings in the sumer, and there fallen leaves in the
winter,
Colin

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2020, 17:05 »
I would quietly ignore the new rules and carry on as you have.  I can see them wanting to have something in place to prevent contractors using plots as dumping grounds for trade waste, but are they really going to frisk everyone at the gate, in case you are smuggling in a carrier bag of peelings  :lol:

So long as you are not causing any bother to anyone else, who will care  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2020, 21:32 »
I agree with you, but as site rep   :blush: I feel I should try to reason with them first  ::) Meeting with the council in a couple of weeks, but only got the draft for the new contracts a little while ago...

grinling

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2020, 23:25 »
are they shared compost bins? they might lie to suggest wiring the bottoms to stop rats as nothing stops mice.

Christine

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2020, 03:43 »
Our rules just state not to bring waste on that is you can't compost.

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2020, 07:49 »
 I think I’d be going down the route about recycling waste, all councils are supposed to be seen to getting the rates of recycling up & less going in to landfill & not all allotment holders will be able to compost at home
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2020, 09:12 »
I agree with you, but as site rep   :blush: I feel I should try to reason with them first  ::) Meeting with the council in a couple of weeks, but only got the draft for the new contracts a little while ago...

Yes I know you are a site rep.  Sorry I was being a bit facetious, but I do think they may be rules that will be applied on a common sense basis, rather than being monitored closely.  If you asked the question about recycling and people bringing a few bits from home, they may well smile and nod, even if they won't say it on record.

If there are problems on other sites I can see them bringing in a rule and then it is a real challenge to decide where you draw the line.

Someone might be dumping food waste from a catering business in plot compost bins and attracting rats.  Someone else might be filling theirs with  garden waste from a business.  It may even be a move to stop people dodging the charges for green bin collection by using the general dumping ground at the site.   The difficulty would be allowing some stuff in. but then not ending up in long drawn out arguments with those people. 

If your site does not have these issues, I can see the council bods happily ignoring the compost bins there.  Even on a site where they have problems, I am sure if you deposited stuff in your bins discreetly and they were being managed in some sort of decent order, no-one would check any further into it  :)

« Last Edit: January 05, 2020, 09:15 by New shoot »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2020, 10:08 »
I've sent of an email detailing the problems as I see them, and now wait to see what they say at the meeting. I can understand the rules we already had about not bringing cooked food waste and bones etc onto site - but the new rules do seem incredibly restrictive. We shall see...

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 08:47 »
Have read this with interest, first thought was surely most of the veg peelings originated from the plot in the first place and how would they be able to tell the odd supermarket peelings from plot ones ?
My guess is this is based on them having trouble with non-veg waste.
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 12:09 »
Except for the vandal thief plot holder. I'd like them to leave us to it since we can't afford the high fences and padlocks of some of the other plot holders have installed.

You see that, jinked. We were up today and the thieving hound was in, tried to get into our padlocked shed, stole our mushroom logs, tools (spade and fork) and the Rotavator. Someone was stealing veg out of the two plots next to ours as well.

Husband is up with the police now since it wasn't our rotavator, it was the last plot holder's and we don't want to be accused of stealing it. They must have only just been away with it because you can see the marks of where it dug up the path as clear as day...  ;)

Good job I have photos of it and it's registration numbers being in the shed on our plot this summer.  8)

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 06:51 »
I think Snows has hit it on the head...

T.Wells (and Tonbridge), are all over the place for 'recycling', although the new crowd were pretty useless at the start, forgetting rounds/days, leaving bins all over the place etc, and to be fair to some of the guys on the rounds, this new idea of 'recycling' old food is pretty nasty!

The landfill just outside T.Wells, at High Brooms, was once a haven for seagulls, and I always felt concerned for the poor bloke on the bulldozer, eternally flattening the place, but the area is now quite attractive, having been capped and planted.

I know most (some) of the reasons why landfill isn't a nice idea, but the 'letter of the law' gets all the councils off the hook as far as waste disposal is concerned, with 'targets' etc, and I'm afraid that will filter down to tiny objectives for important places like allotments etc!

As common sense dictates, just carry on as normal, as unless a Compost Heap Universal Municipal Policeperson (CHUMP) is employed to check every heap in the borough, you've nothing really to worry about!

xx
new to me allotment

Started by Debz on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2018, 19:39
by snowdrops
sad
Allotment fees

Started by Skipton on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2023, 08:49
by Goosegirl
xx
Allotment committees

Started by snow white on Chatting on the Plot

3 Replies
Last post September 14, 2019, 16:35
by Christine
xx
Allotment planning

Started by GraciesGran on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2022, 17:22
by Dantheman

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 55 queries.