Coop nearly finished! After pop-hole advice

• 5 Replies

Gobsheen

Coop nearly finished! After pop-hole advice
« on: April 16, 2012, 13:26 »
Hi,

I'm nearly there now......it's looking like a chicken coop! 

I've got a VSB door opener on the way and planning to make my own door.  There's various different sizes recommended so I'd be curious to know what you guys recommend for 'normal' size hybrids (Rhodes etc).

The door will be made of wood.  It's inside the run so security isn't top of the list.  Needs to be light enough for the VSB to lift it but solid enough to last.  Any guidance on materials, building the door and slides so that it'll work smoothly etc would be great.

Importantly, what height should the door be, relative to the perches inside their bedroom?  They won't have access to the coop floor.....perches throughout.....I'm going for the deep litter method.  Am I right in thinking the nesting boxes should be a bit lower than the perches?

Thanks!

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
Re: Coop nearly finished! After pop-hole advice
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 14:37 »
Pop hike average width about 30cm and height 40cm, preferably 20cm to 60cm above ground level to avoid drafts. Not used an auto door opener so I'm sure someone with one will advise you further on that topic. I have had problems with perches not fit for purpose recently... Heavy breed should have perches no higher than about one foot off the ground or levels to 'climb' as they aren't the best fliers. Try to keep them all the same height, try not to extend the perches too close to the external coop walls, try to make them rectangular or oval in shape width around 2.5 inches and 2in deep with smooth.

Yeah nest boxes lower than perches to try to avoid roosting in them.
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 16:04 »
Hello
I go the aluminium one from Flyte so Fancy.  Its perfect - really lightweight, strong and will never catch/warp etc.  A fox won't get through it. You could sell it on in future years too.
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ehs284

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 09:13 »
Our door is a Tesco's cutting board. Just the right size, won't warp or corrode, cheap and a ledge screwed to front so bottom is protected from ice formation. Slides are aluminium channels (I think originally came from kitchen drawer). Don't know about VSB as ours is home made and pulls horizontally with a pully over the door and all electrics inside out of the weather.
Door about 50cm from ground with a ramp.
Perches are staggered with the lowest only about 100mm above the entrance as the big birds can't manage more. The perch area is boxed in on three sides and at night a fourth side is lifted up so no draughts. No idea about relevance to deep litter as this is a hard surface, clean daily setup.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 10:11 »
Our door is a Tesco's cutting board. Just the right size, won't warp or corrode, cheap and a ledge screwed to front so bottom is protected from ice formation.

What a brilliant idea ehs284  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Gobsheen

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 08:14 »
Thanks guys!

xx
buying an automatic pop hole opener? Advice please :)

Started by sirius951 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 01, 2010, 15:55
by sirius951
xx
Advice about new coop please

Started by dizzylizzie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 17:19
by dizzylizzie
xx
coop advice please

Started by Debsie on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 23:23
by threeranger
xx
New Coop Advice Please...

Started by PackFlock on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 10, 2012, 18:32
by kegs

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 39 queries.