honda f501 rotovator

• 3 Replies

ratcatcher

honda f501 rotovator
« on: May 07, 2011, 15:04 »
hi all, new member here, Im a full time pest controller, just to let you know a little about me, live in essex, but onto the question, picked up the above rotovator few weeks back, very very resonable price, and even though its probably a little overkill for the size of our garden, it was too good an offer to miss, everything works fine, great starter etc, but when I filled up the bottom crank area with oil, yup it all leaked out both sides, now the bearings seem fine, but do these supose to have oil seals in front of bearings, or are they all built it, thus meaning new bearings??
have tried google searches for spares and advice and drawn a blank on both
so thought there may be some good folk here with advice,links etc

cheers all

dorimower

• Experienced Member
Re: honda f501 rotovator
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 16:48 »
I know nothing of the F501 but our old Honda F400 has quite fancy seals...not sure what they are called but it involves a replaceable seal that comprises a sleeve that fits over the tine shaft and it is the outer of the sleeve that then has a lipped seal against it....this all comes as a seal assembly.

Perhaps someone like PFK Ling with very many years of Honda experience could provide some answers.? http://www.hondagarden.com/page.php/aboutus  I know they have been in Honda a good many years...as it is a name I recall for sourcing spares back from my YTS days in the machinery world...30 years ago.!
 Do arm yourself with all serial numbers you can find before making an enquiry...as there can be detail differences through the years of a basic model type.

In our case the poor old F400 now has rather tired tine shafts..and I elected to use a fill of half and half sae50 and sae30 to stem the most recent weep from one side seal....not my favourite way forward...but I deemed it so given the tired state of the rest of our machine...

"Dori"

tonyaj

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 15:44 »
 :D hi ratcatcher just finished my allotment with my Honda f501 its a great machine , on taking my  honda f 501 back home i cleaned the tines and put it away ,next day i went and had a check of it and it had leaked on one side of the seal i rang around locally with no joy, so i got the honda out and got all tools i might need  and started to remove the half plates  surounding the drive shaft first removed one bolt and nut and two bolts  and noted two flap hinges ,i got got hold of the tabs and straitend  them  with some long nose plyers and pulled the two halfs apart which  revealed the crankshaft and the two seals one larger than the other,the right side is 32mm x 52 x11mm  and the left is 32mm x58mm x11mm and cost me £32.00 inc vat from w h a vowles& son market place patrington hull hu12 ore , so just waiting for them now so easy to take out just prize the edge of them with a blunt blade like paper scraper 5mm all the way around and ease them out ,once you have the new ones put a bit of greese in and around the inner seal rubber and fit them evenly  and gentley and you will need  some ep 90 gear oil to put back in , part no are for right side is 91205-733-703    part no for left side is 91206-733-703 hope that helps you , i will let you know how i get on.  ps the bearings are separate from the seals,  the whole job took me 15 minutes max  best regards tony
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:45 by tonyaj »

tonyaj

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 21:23 »
 :D hi ratcacher i went and got my honda f501 seals yesterday , and i had other things to do Thursday so didn't start while today got honda back out had already cleaned the shaft with fine emery paper and well greased them , got tools needed for the job got a   1 1/4 plastic straight joint waste got the big seal put grease inside and outside placed it onto the shaft as far as it would go then put 1 1/4 pipe onto the shaft and the seal and tapped it evenly and gently until it hit the collar of the seal all done do the same for the small one ,then i  put the two halfs of the crankcase cover back making shore to put hinge tags through the slots , then fitting the big bolt and nut  first, don't tighten it yet put the next smaller nut and bolt don't tighten it yet then two small inch bolts then tighten them all and don't forget to bend the two tabs back to lock the plate, tines on job done tested its fine no leaks hope this helps job took all of 15 minutes top  regards tony
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:50 by tonyaj »

xx
Honda f501 problems

Started by Al5401 on Equipment Shed

30 Replies
Last post April 06, 2008, 11:58
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Honda FG200 Rotovator

Started by Malcolm hawtin on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post April 04, 2016, 21:07
by pgw330
thumbdown
Set of Honda rotovator tines on Ebay

Started by Browser on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post November 22, 2009, 20:56
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
where to get parts for a honda f600 rotovator

Started by hthry on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post October 12, 2015, 21:38
by dorimower

Page created in 0.184 seconds with 39 queries.