New girls

• 6 Replies

themagicaltoad1

New girls
« on: October 02, 2012, 11:12 »
My original 3 hens have all grown too old to lay, and with the goose house/ run empty, I thought we'd go take a LOOK at some more hens with a view to converting the goose house. So much for just taking a look, we came home with a bluebelle and 2 speckaldies. They're supposed to be about 8 months old and hopefully will settle in soon and start laying because we're only getting 1 egg a day at the minute from the other 7 hens!
Harvey & Bluebelle 02.10.12.JPG
Nando & Harvey 02.10.12.JPG

helens-hens

Re: New girls
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 11:40 »
They look lovely themagicaltoad1, already making themselves at home!.

I am in the process of trying to get 1 or 2 more girls to keep my Henrietta company after I lost her friend last week.

I was trying to get hold of a couple of pure breeds but this seems to be easier said than done this time of the year. I may be able to get a couple of speckledys though - what is their temperament like?
Helen

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 12:02 »
All 3 of them are very nervous of people at the minute. The 2 speckaldys seem to have very different natures, one is very laid back and doesn't mind the bluebelle but the other one goes for it whenever it comes near. She's also had a few goes through the fence at my free ranging hens, I think I might have a few problems with her when they are out of quarantine.
I have a tiny bantam RIR who follows me everywhere, I didn't see her slip in behind me yesterday when I went into their run and suddenly she and the speckaldy were going at it like prize fighters!

helens-hens

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 13:53 »
I guess it just shows what different characters they can be even if they are the same type / breed.

Your little RIR sounds quite a character - I bet she stood her ground with the new Speckeldy!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 15:07 »
They look lovely, I hope they settle in without too much agro.   ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2012, 11:02 »
Well that all went surprisingly well. After a week of free ranging together in the garden but returning to their respective houses at dark, last night they all went off to the big coop and are now all together in the run, no fights, no aggro, all one big happy family. :D

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 14:35 »
They look lovely. Glad they have settled in without any fuss, you are very lucky.  :)

xx
New girls

Started by Elvira on Chicken Chat

6 Replies
Last post September 23, 2013, 18:25
by splash101
xx
Our New Girls

Started by Ma Lowe on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 20:36
by ManicMum
xx
my new girls

Started by cassy on Chicken Chat

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 20:32
by ANHBUC
xx
My girls

Started by SoniaBA on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post April 01, 2011, 11:43
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 38 queries.