Rowan tree brown leaves

• 7 Replies

Neil Doncaster

• Experienced Member
Rowan tree brown leaves
« on: July 29, 2019, 20:36 »
Hello there can any tell me what is wrong with my Rowan tree it is less than 12months old and bought from a reputable nursery the leaves have gone brown could it be fire blight or something else also is there anything i can do or is it beyond saving many thanks please see photo
01656066-0E06-4AA2-9838-49F6164FD84C.jpeg

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Rowan tree brown leaves
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2019, 11:38 »
Fire blight hits the ends of shoots and the browning off of leaves looks like it is coming from the trunk out, so I don't think it is that.

A newly planted tree will have suffered in the recent hot and dry weather, but all is not lost.  Give it a really good water and keep that up over the rest of the summer.  Come autumn a good mulch of compost (tree and shrub bagged stuff if you have none of your own) or bagged manure will help.  Just keep a bit of space between the mulch and the trunk.

I reckon it is savable so don't give up on it just yet  :)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2019, 12:35 »
My Rowan Tree has died.  I thought it was Fire Blight at first.   I have since been informed it is Ash Die-back, which is seriously affecting all ash trees.   But as has already been said, it is very young and very stressed so don't give up yet, just keep loving it.  Good luck,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 16:14 »
I have since been informed it is Ash Die-back

It won't be that Mrs B.  Ash Die-back is restricted to true ash trees.  Rowan is sometimes called mountain ash, but it isn't actually an ash at all.

Wilting and die back on established trees is often to do with a root problem.  Either damage of some kind or some other kind of fungal attack.   If nothing has disturbed the roots, it is most likely fungus.  Unfortunately, there is no treatment for that.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 16:24 »
I have had  several qualified people look at this tree.   Two of whom work in Horticultural Colleges.  They have all confirm  Ash die-back.    Whilst I know that it  is not a true Ash, the damage could have been cause by Emerald Ash Borer.    This will eventually kill the tree anyway and there is no cure.    Anyway, whatever,  mine is a very old tree and large and well and truly dead.  It has been dying over the last 2/3 years.  Mrs Bouquet ::)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 16:30 by mrs bouquet »

Neil Doncaster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 17:18 »
Cheers for the advice fingers crossed it survives I will take up your advice about the water and mulch

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2019, 13:15 »
the damage could have been cause by Emerald Ash Borer.   

That is not a pest we currently have in the UK, so let's hope not.  If your friends think that could be the case Mrs B, they need to report it.   Link below which includes a link to a Tree Alert form.

https://www.forestresearch.gov.uk/tools-and-resources/pest-and-disease-resources/emerald-ash-borer/

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2019, 15:03 »
Rowan trees are not related to Ash trees at all but are from the Rose family.
My 45 year old Rowan gets a little die back caused by Fireblight each year but that little tree looks to have suffered with heat and lack of water as New Shoot suggested.

xx
The Dead Rowan Tree

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post August 21, 2019, 12:38
by mrs bouquet
xx
Roses - leaves turning brown and dropping

Started by boogaloo on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 14, 2012, 12:13
by Goosegirl
xx
Cherry Blossom Tree Secreting a brown jelly of the leafs???????

Started by Greengiant152 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2012, 21:41
by Yorkie
xx
Cherry Tree Shedding Leaves

Started by hubballi on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post June 02, 2012, 11:43
by hubballi

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 47 queries.