How to keep fruit trees weed free?

• 3 Replies

chillimummy

How to keep fruit trees weed free?
« on: August 30, 2019, 00:22 »
So at the back of my plot I have lots of fruit bushes and 3 trees, cherry, apple and newly discovered pear  :)
Really overgrown around them so will be strimming weeds at the weekend.
After that, what is the best way to keep area manageable around them?
Around my fruit bushes, i had put weed fabric and chippings but weeds still coming through.
Have regular supply of rabbit poo with bedding so wondered about cardboard with poo on top?
Or better weed fabric with chippings?
This is the only part really of my plot that haven't ever really got under control so making it manageable will help hugely and finally control the jungle that is my fruit area  :D
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

snow white

Re: How to keep fruit trees weed free?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 10:49 »
I mow around the fruit trees.  Most effective way for me.   I put lots of wood chip on my raspberries.  It restricts what does grow quite effectively.  Woven black plastic sheet for my strawberries. 

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 13:53 »
Usually weeds don't get through weed fabric so I'm wondering if you have some couch grass or other difficult perennial weeds there. Fruit trees and bushes don't like weeds around their bases as they compete with the them for nutrients. I'd de-turf about 15" all round the base to make a weed-free square and edge the remaining turf with some lawn edging stuff or wood so the grass doesn't encroach into it. If I get our "new" house it has three fruit trees in a lawn and am going to do the same with them.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

chillimummy

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 07:58 »
Usually weeds don't get through weed fabric so I'm wondering if you have some couch grass or other difficult perennial weeds there. Fruit trees and bushes don't like weeds around their bases as they compete with the them for nutrients. I'd de-turf about 15" all round the base to make a weed-free square and edge the remaining turf with some lawn edging stuff or wood so the grass doesn't encroach into it. If I get our "new" house it has three fruit trees in a lawn and am going to do the same with them.
Thanks for great ideas.
Think I might try digging around them and edging this. Seems like a good way to keep weeds at bay at least directly around each tree.
Have been thinking about growing my strawberries either through weed fabric or in a raised bed to make it easier to weed  ;)
Tackling the jungle tomorrow  :(

xx
Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 04, 2008, 11:40
by Ruth Cross
xx
Re: Poor quality soil and fruit trees /soft fruit

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2017, 20:30
by New shoot
xx
Fruit trees - 1st year fruit

Started by Frothgar on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 15, 2010, 09:49
by Frothgar
xx
fruit trees and fruit bushes...

Started by Nicki85 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 15, 2013, 23:37
by Sparkyrog

Page created in 0.322 seconds with 43 queries.