Covering with card

• 11 Replies

gathsman

• Enjoying The Good Life!
Covering with card
« on: October 23, 2012, 23:19 »
Hello,I've just started to dig over my rather weedy plot! Unfortunately I was unable to get some manure! So owing to the fact I had a poor crop of potatos and carrots etcs and the fact that the plot hasn't been fed for years (I only took over this plot late last year) I have decided to weed, dig and then cover with card (half my plot) until this time next year when I hopefully will get some manure!! Does this sound a good idea to you guys! Anything else I can do to help the soil in preparation!! Thanks in advance!! G

allotmentann

Re: Covering with card
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 07:57 »
Covering with card is a good idea, it wiill help suppress weeds and will also break down and help the soil over a long time - or if it is just soggy, come spring tear it up and add it to the compost heap. You might possibly get away with some of the green manures, depends where you are probably, (and I can't see your location now that I am typing), my field beans have only just germinated.
 You could definitely improve the soil where you  are going to plant beans or marrows by digging a big hole in the beds and filling them with kitchen waste, allotment clearings (not perennial weed roots), grass clippings and cardboard or shredded paper, cover it over with soil you dug out and you should have much improved soil come planting time.
Most people have had poor carrot crops this year and many people have had poor potato crops because of blight. The bad weather has meant that many growers have had much worse years than usual, so your soil may not be in as bad condition as you think :)

Christine

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 08:25 »
You can start a compost heap. That's good preparation for next year. I had available black plastic free when I started mine so have never bought a compost container. Free pallets are good for making compost containers if you can find them. Or see if you can get one through freecycle.

If you can collect leaves you can also bag these up to make leafmould which will help when they have crumbled down.

If you know any pigeon racers or chicken keepers see if they have spare "stuff" which you can add to your compost heap.

If you can acquire a bit of spare cash, see if your local council has a system where you can get soil improver cheap or free (comes from recycling bin collections) which will help.

Keep your eyes and ears open during the winter as you may yet be able to gain well rotted manure which you can use.

Remember that you also need to fertilise throughout the season so put cash aside or buy fertiliser in containers on a regular basis to use in the growing season.

Another option for your plot is to plant a green manure in spring and then dig that in which will help.

Potty Plotty Lotty

• https://thelazyallotmenteer.wordpress.com/
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 13:38 »
There is still time... If you are able to collect manure there is some available locally to you:

http://groups.freecycle.org/aylesbury_freecycle/posts/21762223

If not, you could ask if they will deliver for a small payment... or do a google search for other manure supplies near you.

Remember not to manure where carrots are to go otherwise they will fork.

gathsman

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 14:44 »
Thanks for the advice! I've only just started my compost heap so that won't be available until next year! I shall continue to dig and cover with card then... I just hope it doesn't blow away!!!!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 18:57 »
I have decided to weed, dig and then cover with card (half my plot) until this time next year when I hopefully will get some manure!! Does this sound a good idea to you guys! Anything else I can do to help the soil in preparation!! Thanks in advance!! G

Do you mean to leave the plot for a complete year under the card, just because you haven't got any manure?

I agree with leaving it until the spring, but it seems a terrible waste to leave it over the growing season - even if your committee / council allowed you to go a year without any cultivation (you wouldn't get away with that on our site).

Manure is great but it is not the be all and end all.  It improves soil structure but does not add particular quantities of nutrients.  You would not add manure where you plan to grow carrots or parsnips the following year anyway.

Plan to grow stuff next season and read up on fertilisers.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

gathsman

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 19:11 »
Hi yorkie, the original plan was to cover half my plot, I just had a terrible year with my root veg I assumed it was down to fact the ground hadn't been fed for many years! I have started to dig it over and it is full of clay!! I thought by covering the worms would eat the card thus feeding the ground and I would stop weed growth!!

Anyway I had a call, should hopefully be getting some
Manure on Friday, would it be a good idea to continue digging the plot and covering with card as I have been and then covering the card with the manure?? It's a minefield this allotment lark... Ha. Any thoughts greatly appreciated!! G

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 21:19 »
Like Yorkie, I was puzzled by your plans.  I think leaving your plot empty for so long is a waste.  

If you can't get hold of manure, simply buy some pelleted chicken manure or blood, fish and bone (Poundland do it) to feed your soil before planting (not now).  You could even get some overwintering onions and garlic in now (plant through layers of wet newspaper if you are worried about weeds appearing in between).

Covering with soil would help stop weed growth, but there could be loads of reasons why your root crops didn't do very well - carrots for example, don't need loads of nutrients, but do need a good, sandy soil to stop them bolting.  Potatoes were a disaster for almost everyone this year due to the wet conditions.  

Clay is usually pretty fertile, manure is great but adding grass clippings will help with the soil structure, but you can also add some fine grit or sand to help drainage.  As has also been suggested, build a compost heap and start making your own as this will also help to improve the soil structure.  Come spring, if you sow your carrot or parsnip seed into a drill the depth of your spade filled with compost, this will help prevent them bolting.

If you are getting manure on Friday, yes by all means go ahead with your plan although be prepared as usually manure contains weed seed too, but at least if you clear these weeds in spring, they won't be deep rooted.  If you go with my suggestion of onions and garlic, don't bother manuring the soil in advance as they aren't keen on freshly manured soil.  Brassicas and legumes will love the manure when the time comes.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2012, 21:20 by angelavdavis »
Read about my allotment exploits at Ecodolly at plots 37 & 39.  Questions, queries and comments are appreciated at Comment on Ecodolly's exploits on plots 37 & 39

gathsman

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 23:18 »
I was only goin to leave half of it out of action, thought it would be better to get the soil nicely prepped so I didn't waste my time as I felt I did a bit this year!!

angelavdavis

• Winner - Prettiest Pumpkin 2012
  • An allotment glutton!
    • The Allotment Glutton
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 10:47 »
OK, no worries gathsman, I misunderstood your plans.  This is the right time of year to be prepping your soil so you are ready for the new growing season, definitely.

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 19:56 »
Just another thought - if you are covering with card and manure, you don't really need to weed first - unless you have big unwieldy weeds like brambles. Just put the card and manure on top and by spring all the weeds should have rotted away. If there are any perennial ones like dandelions left they should be easy enough to dig out
Rachael

gathsman

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2012, 21:06 »
Awesome, now that sounds like my type if allotmenteering! I will post an update tomorrow when I take delivery of my manure!!

xx
Shiny paper and card for composting?

Started by gsc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 14, 2010, 08:31
by gsc
xx
What needs covering

Started by NorfolkVeg on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 20:00
by NorfolkVeg
xx
what needs covering........

Started by chili on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 08:05
by Stratts
xx
Covering brassicas still?

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 20:13
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.299 seconds with 39 queries.