Diesel

• 104 Replies

WG.

Diesel
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007, 10:41 »
Quote from: "Oscar Too"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_vegetable_oil
says "The tax break has been reconfirmed by HMRC in a recent late 2006 review.[9] HM Revenue & Customs has announced changes regarding the administration and collection of excise duty of biofuels and other fuel substitutes (Veg Oil). The changes which come into effect on June 30, 2007 mean that there is no need to register (enter premises) or pay duty on veg oil used as road fuel if you use less than 2500 litres per year"

shaun

Diesel
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007, 17:28 »
Quote from: "mushroom"
the exhaust gases must smell mouth-watering  :shock:  8)

they smell like the back of a chippy

like david says your filters need changing quite often as they clog up with what is like a white jelly.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

leeky

Diesel
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 02:52 »
Whats the point in paying duty? I certainly wouldnt. Defeats the object.

:D  :D  :lol:

snozzer

• Experienced Member
Diesel
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 08:17 »
I run a 1999 Jeep Cherokee 2.5tdi on SVO I just adjust the percentages depending on the weather.  In the Summer 95-100% vegetable oil without a single problem.  Right now 50% is all I can manage without having any starting problems because of the cold.  Although I did by mistake have 95% in the other day and still managed to start it, I kept turning the key to use the glow plugs without cranking the engine, 10 heats and it started albeit very lumpy for the first 45seconds then the head heated up and off we went.

The HMRCE now allow you 2500l (500 gallons) of oil without having to register or pay tax and that is enough for most people.

Even off the shelf at Tescos in 3l bottles I can save £24 on a full tank.
As guilty as a puppy next to a pile of poo

WG.

Diesel
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 10:19 »
Quote from: "snozzer"
Even off the shelf at Tescos in 3l bottles
and I hope, like me, you cut all the bottles for plants / mini-propogators!

SkipRat

Re: Diesel
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2007, 01:19 »
Quote from: "Esme"
Do any of you here run diesel vehicles using veg oil? If so what kind of mods - if any -do you make to the car, and if using used veg oil how do you clean it up to make it viable?

The main difference between Bio-diesel and stright veg oil, is that if using bio diesel you generally dont have to modify your engine (the glycerine is chemically removed from it). But in a SVO you generally use a two tank system, one for petro diesel and one for SVO. The idea is that you start on Petro diesel then when the engine is up to normal temp switch over to the SVO tank. Just before you plan to turn your engine off, you then turn back onto petro diesel, this will ensure that your engine will start in cold weather.
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

sweet nasturtium

Diesel
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2007, 14:11 »
I'm seriously considering putting veg oil 50% into my diesel tank.  Am I mad?

I've looked into the price of biodiesel and it's only around 10p cheaper than usual.  Veg oil would be 25-30p cheaper.

I've looked into converting and you have to have a gadget that heats up the oil and that costs £400-£500.  But that appears to be necessary only when you use 100% veg oil into the tank.

In the light of recent news about poisoned chickens  any advice will be taken with a pinch of salt and said advisors need not feel responsible for the wellbeing of my vehicle should advice be detrimental to it.  :wink:

WG.

Diesel
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2007, 14:29 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
I'm seriously considering putting veg oil 50% into my diesel tank.  Am I mad?

I've looked into the price of biodiesel and it's only around 10p cheaper than usual.  Veg oil would be 25-30p cheaper.

I've looked into converting and you have to have a gadget that heats up the oil and that costs £400-£500.  But that appears to be necessary only when you use 100% veg oil into the tank.

In the light of recent news about poisoned chickens  any advice will be taken with a pinch of salt and said advisors need not feel responsible for the wellbeing of my vehicle should advice be detrimental to it.  :wink:
As per my reply at top of page 1

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Diesel
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2007, 17:17 »
You old snitcher WG  :wink:  :lol:

sweet nasturtium

Diesel
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2007, 18:11 »
Humph.
I just hope that's not the way you play golf Mr WG!
Yours affrontedly.

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
Diesel
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2007, 20:50 »
I have tried a 25% mix of veg oil in my 2005  2lt tdci Mondeo & it seems fine. In fact it runs smoother. I have just found a local small garage selling bio-diesel for 85p litre  :lol:
Big difference in performance, goes like a rocket, really smooth & gives me 46 - 50 MPG.
The only down side is that you should change your engine oil every 5000 miles as it affects the viscosity oil, it can turn it to jelly  :shock:
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

WG.

Diesel
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2007, 20:54 »
Quote from: "sweet nasturtium"
Humph.
I just hope that's not the way you play golf Mr WG!
Yours affrontedly.
Only quoting your good self SN :D   I must accidentally have submitted the post after increasing the font size to enable my poor old eyes to read it.  :wink:

sweet nasturtium

Diesel
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2007, 21:24 »
I don't believe you.

Esme

• http://www.myspace.com/esmewitch
Diesel
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2007, 00:20 »
I started cautiously enough using about 30% veg oilHowever, having gained in confidence, even though it's cold now, it's 100% svo cos I can't be bothered to queue at the pumps. I'll likely put a couple of litres in if I see a petrol station which is reasonably empty. . .
It runs well enough, bit slow to start in the mornings but I am doing what Snozzer wrote and letting the glow plugs glow several times before cranking the engine, she starts then.
And for all the advice thank you.

Note: no chickens were harmed in the making of this post. . .
All mushrooms are edible - some only once.

EzLou

• Experienced Member
Diesel
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2007, 20:44 »
A mechanic told me today I could run my 92 Daihatsu Fourtack on veg/diesel.

From what you're saying above though its not a good idea in winter?

xx
Biofuel versus the raising cost of diesel

Started by lefrog on Frugal Living

7 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 15:13
by Alfie

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 33 queries.