Drooling over skips

• 53 Replies

ex-cavator

Re: Drooling over skips
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2010, 16:58 »
I was over the dump a couple of years ago and saw a really old bicycle in the metals skip. The attendant kindly agreed to look the other way while I rescued it and put it in the back of my car.  After a bit of research I identified (and dated) it as a 1926 Rudge Whitworth Gentleman's All-weather, with 29" wheels, 3-speed Sturmey Archer, and original Lucas King of the Road dyno-light and lighting set - and although the bicycle is a little tatty looking, its all original and in good working order, including the lights.
I've only had to replace the tyres (with Indian-made Dunlops to pretty much the original pattern) and inner tubes, although I could do with finding some replacement rims as the originals are badly corroded, though I could have them restored.
I'd put some piccies up, but it's all in bits at the moment as I was going to give it a proper clean-up over the winter  :D

juliec

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2010, 11:27 »
One of our neighbours did some building work and left a huge pile of timber in the garden for a  couple of years, we asked if we could have it and they were pleased to get rid of it, I got my son to make me some raised vegetable beds with it and when he cut into it it was actually pitch pine... so I have wonderful pitch pine raised beds.
 All for free and still have lots left over for anothr project next spring.

alibean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2010, 16:43 »
Last year chanced upon a whole stack of large plastic pots in a skip down the road.  Knocked the door and the lady of the house was more than happy to let me have them - returned the favour with some courgettes and beans later in the year!  I saved about a tenner.... she was happy... I was happy.... good karma all round!

Benandbill

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 06:42 »
That's an amazing story!!

Slowgrind

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 08:01 »
As a builder who is glad to get his skips emptied for free, I'm more than happy to see people making good use of the stuff that is going to the tip anyway!

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 16:11 »
As a builder who is glad to get his skips emptied for free, I'm more than happy to see people making good use of the stuff that is going to the tip anyway!
My husband say's the same :)

grendel

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 19:27 »
I actually asked for and got a written letter of permission to raid the skip at the rear of our local telescope repair shop, over several years I rescued over 20 etx telescopes that had a fault with their electronics or motors, or had an interior component loose. they werent economical to repair so were skipped, many have been passed on to local kids via freecycle etc and to fellow members of my astronomy club, many parts have been shipped worldwide to repair others broken telescopes, at my expense with the request to pass the favour forward. The shop moved location in one irection about the same time I moved my work location the other way, but interestingly last weekend I met up with someone who had taken over the skip raiding duties at their new location, he also was passing repair projects out to others at no cost, so it was nice to see the project ongoing still.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

michellela

• Experienced Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2010, 03:03 »
grendel I think that's a wonderful way of using something that someone couldn't be bothered (or didn't know how) to salvage.  It's great that you shared your finds with others too.

Zippy

« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2010, 00:25 »
Part of my job is to travel around covering sickness in different work places. Tonight I took out the bin liner and scoops from my boot and cleared a car park of a drift of leaves and stopped off on the way home to pick up a massive bin bag of coffee grounds at Starbucks - I had phoned in earlier to say I was coming so they had stored it up all day.

Sometimes I get to drop off at a beach and bag a bin liner of seaweed en route.

I used to be a cub scout - be prepared!

8doubles

« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2010, 09:40 »
Part of my job is to travel around covering sickness in different work places. Tonight I took out the bin liner and scoops from my boot and cleared a car park of a drift of leaves and stopped off on the way home to pick up a massive bin bag of coffee grounds at Starbucks - I had phoned in earlier to say I was coming so they had stored it up all day.

Sometimes I get to drop off at a beach and bag a bin liner of seaweed en route.

I used to be a cub scout - be prepared!

Reminds me of the late 60s when brewery dray horses were stabled in town , if they came down our road there would be half a dozen gardeners with coal shovels lurking at their front gates ready to pick up. :)
The shires always seemed to oblige!

greendog

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2010, 09:43 »
numerous finds over the years probably a lot i can't remember offhand but a few that spring to mind include;
an 18 inch record wrench at the local dumpit site
 loads of timber, picture frames (given to  my mum for  an art club she runs )cast iron drain lid which replaced a cracked one in my garden, set of damaged alloy wheels which fetched nearly £60 at the local scrap yard , oak writing  bureau. steel flue pipe for my woodburner(the week before i was going to buy one)
finally at the moment i keep popping over to the local school over the road with the wheelbarrow for the ready sawn up old window frames thet they are skipping. keeping me very warm on the woodburner
i luuurve skips and i have no shame

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2010, 03:58 »
Oh I'm so glad I'm not the only one!  I live at number 38.  The guy at #40 has been renovating his house and gets a skip in regularly to throw out his "rubbish." With his permission, so far I've had two very pretty cup/saucer/plate sets (flowery with gold rims - used to belong to his mother!) 

Also various pieces of timber of different grades.

A genuine crystal serving platter, unchipped (also used to belong to his Mum!)

Just last week the people at #36 started building a fence.  I asked the builders if, instead of hiring a skip, they could throw all timber off-cuts into my yard.  They happily did that and every evening I head out the front with my wheelbarrow to collect the day's loot!   :D 

All my neighbours have been rewarded with home-made bread and garden produce so I hope they will think of me next time they have a clean-out!

gillian62

« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2010, 06:30 »
My sons are highly embarassed as I scan every skip as we drive past!!  Well, what sort of parent would I be, if I didn't do something to embarass my children.  LOL.

twissle

• Experienced Member
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2010, 08:13 »
Haha my children are the same :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2010, 08:25 »
us parents have a duty to embarrass our kids  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Wood chippings and skips

Started by ElizabethB on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2020, 10:28
by mumofstig
xx
"The useful things you find in skips" !

Started by Kleftiwallah on Frugal Living

11 Replies
Last post April 09, 2011, 23:29
by grendel

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 32 queries.