Veg growing on the cheap

• 73 Replies

Trillium

Veg growing on the cheap
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 17:26 »
I could say I'd spend nothing this year as I already have all the seeds I could possibly use. But its very hard to resist some new variety or whatever  :oops:  but I'll try. I don't have lotty costs and my neighbour supplies all my manure for free from the farm where he works and my town works dept bring me loads of shredded leaves.
But this year I must buy a few large empty olive barrels to turn into water butts (about 30 pounds equiv) as we're on a well, and more fleece against frost, about another 8 pounds). I already have the water butt conversion kit as well as all the veg bed concrete blocks for re-edging.

Christine

Veg growing on the cheap
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2009, 09:15 »
I'm not sure that I do frugal on the allotment.

It's fine for those who have chickens or pigeons on their plots down our site but some of us have to obtain either compost or manure in other ways. As manure isn't available to those of us like me who don't drive out of town and I can't make enough compost for the large plot, well it's a case of go and buy. After a couple of years of experience with place, I'm going to raise one half so that the growing area is level with the surrounding walkways. Yep - expensive but after some maths and a good bit of hunting round, not half as bad as it could have been.

But other than that, I don't actually spend a great deal other than on seeds and replacements for netting or canes.

The allotment paid for itself plus some last year so I'm not going to short change it when something is necessary.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Veg growing on the cheap
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2009, 10:10 »
Same thing here. Garden soil's not very good and cannot make enough compost quickly enough so must buy soil improvement in. :(
Also have lots n lots of pots to fill and if you buy new each year, as you should, it doesn't work out cheap.
Most seed was left over from last year, except for the few new things you can't resist :lol: and potatoes to try and garlic that's in.
But as i say still cheap for a hobby :lol:  and about the only exercise i get! :oops:

Alfie

• Experienced Member
    • Chester Vintage Enthusiasts Club
Veg growing on the cheap
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2009, 19:46 »
I wish I could be as economical as some of you guys.
I always 'panic' into things and end up throwing what feels like buckets of cash at things and end up kicking myself after  :roll:
Graham

Behind every successful man stands a surprised mother-in-law

FCG

Veg growing on the cheap
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 19:50 »
"The poor cannot afford to clothe themselves cheaply." (sic)

The same effect comes in when it comes to the lottie i think. Buy good tools to last you a long time and other good long lasting equipment you'll save over the long term. All i can say for seeds is treat them well and they'll keep.

I spend about £30 a year on my allotment/garden with around £75-100 on the chickens.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Veg growing on the cheap
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2009, 19:55 »
Quote from: "FCG"
"The poor cannot afford to clothe themselves cheaply." (sic)

The same effect comes in when it comes to the lottie i think. Buy good tools to last you a long time and other good long lasting equipment you'll save over the long term. All i can say for seeds is treat them well and they'll keep.

I spend about £30 a year on my allotment/garden with around £75-100 on the chickens.

Seems like an old head on young shoulders there Mike, you'll go along way.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Steve.P

• Experienced Member
Veg growing on the cheap
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2009, 21:49 »
So far this year,

£7.50 for share of the plot
£10.40 inc p&p for seeds for this year (some left over from 2008)
£30.00 For scaffold net (Yet to be ordered)

This should be about it, unless unforeseen circumstances arise.
Life is a heap of manure. Growing one minute, stinking the next.

Minty

• Experienced Member
Veg growing on the cheap
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2009, 15:00 »
We only started with our plot last summer and spent quiet a bit setting it up with tool's,shed,greenhouse etc but this year we should be OK as we don't have to pay site fee's because our plot was uncultivated and we've got loads of seed's plus free manure and compost.
I only bought the shed and greenhouse because I'd been left some money and didn't want to waste it.

BestBreast

• Experienced Member
  • Chhhhiiiiiiickens.......
for free
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2009, 19:56 »
Hi its Diane,

I too have saved seeds from prev years, picked up a few new packs of organic seeds for 10p to 50p in the end of summer sale (spent £3.20). My best have to be the free seeds from my patch. I have everything I need except I did not save enough potatoes. I want to double my production but with some different varieties (will be shopping soon).

So far with the chickens things have been expensive. However all other materials are salvaged, paving slabs (10 more salvaged by Jon the other day), pallets, breeze blocks, all kinks of timber and chicken wire. Currently I'm looking at moving my shed and extending it as we have outgrown it by 400% so this will be another job to do before spring (I have tools in the loft! and my boys bike lives in my car). Also need to salvage materials to make a water butt.

I always ask if I see something in someones garden that looks disused or about to be skipped, most people are only too happy for you to take it away.

mashbintater

• Experienced Member
Re: Veg growing on the cheap
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2009, 22:29 »
I don't have a lottie tho I do have my name down for one. My small garden growing space has recently been adjusted to 8' sq plus containers/ hanging baskets & an arch. I don't buy cell trays I use egg boxes then compost them or plant them with the seedling. I save plastic bottles  & cut them up to use as cloches. Scrap paper & cocktail sticks for labels, I save bubble wrap for frost protection, water off boiling eggs to kill weeds in paving slab cracks. I've got glass sliding doors from an old cabinet to serve a raised bed as a cold frame. Broken pallets to make pathways around my small growing spaces. Tin cans & small plastic containers as beer traps. I did use my buddliea prunings as canes but they were a bit twisted from the bad summer last yr so not this time.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2009, 23:57 »
Well an update on my frugal veggies!!!

I've had 2 lots of seeds from the lovely John.  And did I mention before the absolute LOADS sent to me by Aggy and Munty, Kate sent me a packet of broad beans and today my lovely Nici, sent me 6 packets in with my Mother's Day card, so I've probably got enough to last til next year too!!!!!!!    :) :)

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2009, 11:39 »
Ive hardly bought any seeds this year thanks to DD and John apart from peas chillies and a special tom I wanted. I dont pay for manure either. Other things free were slabs and hardcore for paths from freecycle, fences and gate from BIL, incinerator a gift from a friend, tools given to me, loads of pots given to me

It being my first year though I have spent a lot,but these are essentials and should do me a good few years- a shed (£250) debris netting( £43) sand and cement for paths (bout £40) Seed spuds (£8)

I dont expect to pay out hardly anything next year apart from the annual rent and a few seeds here and there as I have TONNES of them  :D Probably I expect to pay approximately £50-£60 a year including rent (nearly £40)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

FCG

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2009, 20:07 »
I probably spend more than i ought to. Say £30 - £40 a year. But my garden is still evolving.

Stupid mistakes like today set me back. Set up 5 'plugs' to plant my seeds in. With all my compost in.

Now smashed all over the garden. Flipping wind.

Christine

« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 11:08 »
I've come back to this one after quite some thought.

I don't drink, smoke or drive a car (total lack of ability  :ohmy:) and do eat the produce. So although I'm open to good offers on what I want I'm not going to be forever scrimping and saving to bring down the cost.

If your garden or allotment is relaxation, hobby, interest, possibly social and maybe even provides food then is absolute frugality really part of the scheme of things?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2009, 11:16 »
I still say the veg growing and gardening 'hobby' is cheaper than going to the gym (despite buying compost and too many seeds) and mentally it's a lot better for me, getting me out in the fresh air for my exercise :D

It's 'side effect' is providing me with lovely fruit and veg without added chemicals that i then class as free. ::) :D

xx
cheap cheap

Started by flowergirl on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 19:11
by flowergirl
xx
Cheap ?

Started by woodentop on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post November 24, 2008, 20:03
by woodentop
xx
I'm so cheap...

Started by leeky on Frugal Living

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 04:46
by leeky
xx
Going cheap....

Started by snowdrops on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2016, 19:56
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.17 seconds with 33 queries.