Cooking corn on the cob.

• 9 Replies

Goosegirl

Cooking corn on the cob.
« on: August 25, 2023, 09:14 »
I had my first one the other day and put it in boiling water for 15 mins (as per my OH's instructions) but I turned the temp down a bit too much o a simmer as it was a bit hard to chew the kernels off the cob. What do you do?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Cooking corn on the cob.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2023, 09:51 »
Good morning Goosegirl,    With only the outermost leaves removed I pop the cobs into the microwave for 8 (eight) minutes,  take them out and wrap in a tea towel.  With a sharp knife cut off the stalk end (about 3/4") then squeeze the cob out from the leaves as you would a toothpaste tube  (leaving all the silks behind).  I've used this method for years and it has never let me down.

Happy nibbling!  Cheers,  Tony. :)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2023, 02:03 »
A couple methods that I use:

1. Indoors.  Bring a pot of water to a boil (enough to cover all corn ears being cooked).  If not already cleaned, strip all leaves and corn silks from each ear, snap off the stem. Rub (or use a vegetable brush on the ears under cool running water to remove any remaining silks.  Trim of anything you feel that you need to remove from the ears (pointy end that is damaged or not filled out, etc.).  With the water boiling, place the cobs in the pot with tongs, return to a boil (covering helps increase the temperature faster).  You want less, not more, cooking time (I would try 5 minutes at a boil, at most, to keep most of the flavor and texture).

2. Outdoors on a charcoal grill (you could probably use gas too).  Clean as above. Each ear of corn should be wet. Place ear on a separate piece of foil. Top with a couple pats of butter per ear, close (wrap) the foil around the ear. Place on a hot grill with the charcoal hot and ready for cooking.  When you start hearing some sizzle in the foil, you periodically want to turn the wrapped ears for even cooking. Cooking takes up to 15 minutes if you turn it periodically.

3. Another outdoor method is to cook in the corn husk.  Here are some instructions: https://www.acouplecooks.com/grilling-corn-in-husk/  The best corn on the cob (most memorable) was cooked this way, at the Indiana State Fair, I still remember the taste from my childhood.  It is more work to cook this way, but in my opinion, it is worth the effort.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2023, 07:03 »
We strip off leaves and silk, put them in a pan of boiling water, bring it back to the boil and cook until the kernels turn brighter yellow - usually one or two minutes. If the water isn't deep enough to cover the cobs, roll them over a few times to cook evenly.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2023, 07:23 »
I either microwave them fresh, with some butter on them already.

Or if frozen, I put boiling water into a big jug and stand them in that, reversing which way up they are, after a few minutes.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Goosegirl

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2023, 10:01 »
Ah, I see it was my fault that I didn't keep the water boiling, so many thanks for that. The rest aren't ready yet  but can't wait for the next one!  :tongue2:

wighty

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2023, 19:11 »
We often have them for lunch, they have been 'so hard' this year that we have given up.  Even the supposedly local ones don't   have the 'usual' taste.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2023, 20:17 »
Ah, I see it was my fault that I didn't keep the water boiling, so many thanks for that. The rest aren't ready yet  but can't wait for the next one!  :tongue2:

Keeping that boil going is always best, but since you are only needing to cook the outer 1/4 inch on each ear, the cook time can be relatively short.  Cook briefly, as you would a somewhat delicate pasta. I mentioned 5 minutes maximum at a boil, but with your own trials, you might find 3 or 4 minutes to be adequate.

I will add that growing up in Indiana, I had always heard the best way to have corn from your own garden, if you can, is to start heating the water to a boil as you go out the door to pick the corn.  This is rarely possible for most of us. I have only had a garden large enough to do this one time in my life (producing corn in a big block, making it possible to pick enough ears at the right stage to make a meal).  I have never had better tasting corn! Sweetness level at it's maximum potential.

For most mortals like me, I would just say to cook the corn as soon as practical after picking. Week-old picked corn may still be edible, but will not be as good as corn cooked within hours (or a day) after picking.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2023, 09:03 »
SP, I picked and eat it the same day but it didn't have that yummy taste and, like wighty said, it was hard in the core. I'll have another go anyway.

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2023, 21:15 »
I microwave for about 1.5 to 3 minutes  per cob in husks. Let it cool a bit so you  an handle, then dehusk and desilk. Slather in butter

I made a Mexican street corn salad the other day. Dehusk and desilk, cut kernels off, stir fry in a wok until charred (or char whole cobs on the bbq then let cool a bit and cut off kernels). Then make the dressing  while it cools fully down

2/3 mayo
1/3 sour cream
Grated/finely crumbled feta or pecorino Romano
Chopped coriander
Chopped chilli
Crushed garlic
Fresh Lime juice
Salt

xx
cooking the perfect

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

39 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 22:11
by Ice
xx
cooking kale

Started by rowlandwells on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2021, 16:49
by rowlandwells
xx
Cooking with mint

Started by gardengnome on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

12 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 11:12
by fisher
xx
Ok so what now, asparagus cooking

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2013, 21:24
by Jackypam

Page created in 0.492 seconds with 48 queries.