more girls

• 4 Replies

Bobbie

more girls
« on: March 24, 2009, 21:50 »
Hi everyone, just letting you know that our 10 +2 chickens have now gone to 16.
Have been very busy moved all the plants out from the bottom of the garden and they how have a good area to peck around in when we are around.
Just bought a shed and converting it to a coope for them, Alan has alrady built them some nesting boxes, and has taken the plunge cutting a hole in the side to make a door for them, its not up yet, as we still have to put the base down, fingers crossed its going to all line up at the finish.
The first 10 warrens were younger than we originally thought, and along with the cold weather were a bit late laying, but we are now getting 10 - 12 eggs a day.
As I said before, they were pretty muddy and the eggs were very dirty, but on looking around decided on putting down shredded tyres in their run, which is brilliant.
Still on the look out for some white fantail doves, at a reasonable price, so if you know of any going not to far away, could someone let me know.
Also Lidels are doing fruit tree's next week, if anyone is interested, did buy some black currant bushes a few weeks ago, and they seem to being growing (only leaves at the moment)

cathangirl

• Experienced Member
Re: more girls
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 09:21 »
Hello Bobbie,
Interesting news and I am quite envious about your increasing flock.  Our p.o.l. took ages to start laying too, but we didn't get them until mid-November, so what with darker nights and the weather, it was to be expected, I suppose.
I'd like another 4 or 6 hens and 3 Welsh Harlequin ducks, but have to save up first, for another coop.
We bought two pear trees and two cherry trees from Lidl last year (later in the year, I think) and they look promising.  The pear trees actually sprouted leaves within days of planting and survived until the frosts.  I thought that would be it for this year, but they have lovely leaves on again.  The cherry trees are developing buds, too.
I was hoping to get some damson trees, but they sold out quickly, maybe next week, fingers crossed.
We bought new blackcurrants bushes too, but they are slow so far - just twigs still.
cathangirl

Bobbie

more girls and 12 eggs
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 13:27 »
Hi, we bought our first 10 warrens last November, thought they were about 18 weeks old.  We had already bought the coope, and made them a run from a large dog run, and bought the chickens on an impulse as Alan was going into hospital for 2 major operations, and at the time, it gave him something else to think about. I'm guessing now the chickens were only about 12- 14 weeks old, fortunately warrens are pretty laid back and we are learning as we go. We then fancied some different colours so along came the 2 light sussex, later 2 black tail ones, and later still 1 Bovan and another I cant think what it is.
Opened  the door to the postman this morning and he delivered 10 eggs, to put in an incubator, so I don't know what we are going to end up with.
Think I would like a duck, but know even less about them, been told they are noisy, and do they another duck for company?
Bobbie

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Re: more girls
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 13:36 »
I saw those shredded tyre chunks at B&Q and was wondering if they could work in a run.  In America, running tracks are made of those and they are brilliant on the joints.  Don't know how they will work for chickens though. :D
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Bobbie

chopped tyres
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 13:57 »
Hi, bought the chopped tyres from the internet, think it comes under the name of dunweedin. Its used for childrens play areas, paths and in horse areanas.
We did lay a pond liner underneath, and put a 6" layer in, it is so much cleaner, chicken don't eat it, but do dig and kick it out of the run, so next job is to put a border around the bottom of the run. Comes in different colours, and is delivered in manageable size sacks.
Its been down a 2 weeks now, and with 16 girls it is  still clean and dry, and does not smell, hoping to be able to hose it through when neccessary. and with 16 girls

xx
how many girls in a run

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 12, 2009, 22:55
by meterman
xx
New Girls

Started by SJC on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 08, 2012, 08:22
by Sassy
xx
Do girls do this?

Started by slowef on The Hen House

35 Replies
Last post June 03, 2007, 00:09
by djt
xx
my girls

Started by Gareth J on The Hen House

41 Replies
Last post June 10, 2009, 20:33
by joyfull

Page created in 0.178 seconds with 28 queries.