Poll

How often do you wash your chicken house out?

once a week
4 (21.1%)
once a fortnight
4 (21.1%)
once every 3 weeks
1 (5.3%)
once a month
6 (31.6%)
more frequently than options above
1 (5.3%)
less frequently than options above
3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: July 22, 2008, 14:22

POLL: How often do you....

• 10 Replies

Dannii

« on: July 22, 2008, 14:22 »
Hi! Just wondered how often everyone washes their chicken house out completely, I pick poo every day and wash out once a week with poultryshield but sometimes worry it wont dry properly if weather is dodgy.

Also does your routine vary depending on season eg. when its hot you clean it more?

Dannii

Chookaholic

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 14:25 »
sorry,i haven't got my chickens yet,so i can't vote!I'm counting down the days...
Queenie - Bella - Mabel - Clara

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 14:30 »
Once a month - The eglu takes about 10 mins to clean out completly and the run takes about 20 mins to remove the soiled bark and replace.

PJM

Coop cleaning
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 14:35 »
Hi, I poo pick daily, clean coop and change bedding weekly, and wash down every 2 months with jeyes fluid. I change the bark chippings in the run every 2 months.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 15:22 »
About every 4 months!!!!

Having 400+ chickens, its difficult and expensive to clean too often, so they run on deep litter, just keep topping up with clean shavings as necessary, and spray regularly with poultryshield, then when the next lot reach point of lay the house is totally deep cleaned, Jeyes fluid, let dry then poultryshield.  And all the feeders and drinkers are cleaned with Vanodine

Paddywack

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2008, 17:16 »
Hi all,

I clean out once a week and spray with jeyes fluid let dry then fresh bedding,

top up bark chippings in run as and when needed

Oliveview

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2008, 17:27 »
Usually I clean out ours once a week- they can go longer as they are outside in the orchard for the day.  The floor of the house is concrete so it is just a good sweep over and then Jeyes fluid (Spanish equivalent)  The nesting boxes are lined with straw- which I beg from a neighbour who had sheep- I say had- he swopped them for 3 piglets :lol:
Their roosting perch was made by our neighbour- out of an old metal bed frame so there is just pooh to clean out from under there.
Pamela

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2008, 20:03 »
i clean out the poo as and when it needs doing (sometimes there's more than others) but as I've only currenly got 2 girls who have a massive outdoor run (about 10mx 8m) and a 10x8' shed for them to roost in it tends not to get mucky at all.

after finding lice on one of them a couple of weeks ago I gave the whole house a deep clean which I will continue to do every month in the warm weather.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2008, 20:18 »
About every 6 months or so, I have mine on deep litter like grannie and find that they love it just top it up every now and then with straw or wood shavings. I have a droppings board which picks up the majority of poo so I scrape that off every few days in the summer about once a week in the winter.
On a dry day the shed is cleaned completely out, including all my tools that are in the other 1/2, perch, every thing comes out. I then blast the whole shed with jeyes, when dry I use crawling insect powder where the hens cant get to and on the perch supports.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

FCG

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2008, 21:50 »
I clean mine out and replace the bedding each week and with diluted dettol clean the entire coop. I also rake up all the excess straw/poo/rubbish that accumulates in the run.

Poolfield2

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2008, 22:44 »
I change the bedding once a week in winter cos they are in the house for more hours but in summer probably once a fortnight. Nest boxes more often and broody box daily or every other day. Deep clean every other month.

I bed mine on shredded paper which hubby brings from office so is free.

Would steam cleaning do instead of chemicals?

xx
chicken run floor poll

Started by needssomehelp on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post February 11, 2011, 20:51
by Abacus

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 34 queries.