Am i aloud?

• 7 Replies

Hazel Anne

Am i aloud?
« on: May 01, 2008, 11:27 »
Hi to you all

We have looked into adopting 2 or 3 ex battery hens and they are available from end of june.
Before we start getting their home ready i thought i would contact our local council to check its ok to have them.
Two weeks later i have a reply from the senior enviromental health officer asking me to call her and discuss this!!
Surely its a straight yes or no to this issue.
Can anyone tell me if it is ok and the council are just being difficult?My neighbour has an avery of Mcaws etc which can be very noisy.
We dont want a Cockerel just a couple of chooks!!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
Am i aloud?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 17:07 »
Have you checked on your deeds? Apparently some deeds say you cant keep poultry - mine just said I cant turn my house into a fish and chip shop!! :shock:

poultrygeist

Am i aloud?
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 22:48 »
I bet she just wants to make sure you know about not getting cocks and the potential problems with rats, etc.

It could be that they've had trouble before and like to check people out before they get any. The environmental health should only get involved if there are smell or noise nuisances or vermine problems. I don't think they can have any objections up front.

Rob

Hazel Anne

Am i aloud?
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 09:08 »
We will wait and see what she replies with.I must admit she asked me to call her and discuss the matter but i just replied by email,as i was a bit miffed she is making a big deal and not just a straight answer.
We dont want to upset the neighbours but have a good size garden and will give them a lovely home.
Maybe i will call today.Hopefully the answer will be yes!!

jimroden

• Experienced Member
Am i aloud?
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 09:51 »
I asked our council ( Nottingham)and was told that they are not allowed to say no but advise against it.

It is law of the land from what I understand. You can by law produce food to sustain your family immediate family it was law in the 1800's and some things were amedid in the first and second world war due to food shortagies and the depresion. You can also have cockerels as they are a food source but the loop hole there is they can forcibly have it removed if people complain about the noise.

clear as mud I know have a look on your tennancey agreement if it does not say you can't then you can if you know what i mean.
Dont tell lies you get in trouble

poultrygeist

Am i aloud?
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 10:00 »
Yes of course. It depends if you're owner or tenant. Forgot about that.

If tenant, then you have to do as they say I suppose. But if owner/occupier unless expressly forbidden in your deeds or by a byelaw (which I think overrides any common law), then you can keep them as long as they don't constitute a nuisance.

But environ health can only object on their own remit, which, since you haven't got them yet, they can't be causing a nuisance.

Rob

Hazel Anne

Am i aloud?
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2008, 22:15 »
We own our home (well big morgage!)
Couldnt get through to the chief on friday so will try again tues,but then she will be too busy to talk as its been a long weekend!
e wanted to go and look at homes for them tommorow but will wait and be patient.
All good things come to those that wait,,,,,,,,,,and wait!!!

compostqueen

Am i aloud?
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 22:58 »
Just do it. The council always says "no" no chuff em  :D

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 29 queries.