New Allotment, Acid soil, want to plant brassicas

• 4 Replies

deannatrois

New Allotment, Acid soil, want to plant brassicas
« on: June 03, 2010, 22:22 »
I have been given a new allotment, cleared it and planted peas beans and potatoes etc.., but have an adjacent allotment owner that has some brassica seedlings to give to me.  The previous allotment owner had it for years, didn't dig it, and just kept putting manure on it so the soil is as u'd expect.., acidic.., not too bad but a bit acidic for brassicas (I didn't even know what a brassica was beginning of last week ha ha).

So as I understand it, u need to apply lime and leave putting crops in for two weeks.  1) I am out of funds for lime 2) I've done well, only had the allotment about 8 days but need to put the brassica's in now rather than in two weeks time.., or more as they are getting a bit pot bound.

Can I plant the brassica's and then apply lime to surrounding area next week when I can afford it?

Or do I just resign myself to not having much of a crop from the brassicas and start sorting the soil out come autumn? I am a newbie obviously and don't want to damage the crops with over enthusiastic application of lime when the brassica's are already in the ground.

binner

• Experienced Member
Re: New Allotment, Acid soil, want to plant brassicas
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 23:23 »
i started my plot from scratch last year and all i got from it was brassicus planted on freshly dug over ground with plenty of rotted manure mixed in, i didnt put any lime on. so if you dont have £6 for a sack of lime, or less ifyou can get a smaller box/packet then i would stick them in.
some people add lime as they plant too to help combat club root so you may get awa with adding lime now and watering it in as you water the plants but dont take my word for it lol as its only my second year
first year grower

Ivah

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2010, 23:24 »
I have clubroot so always dust the planting holes with lime so I don't see there can be any need for the two weeks between liming and planting that you are quoting. The small amount of lime required just to dust the holes for now wouldn't break the bank - maybe borrow some off a neighbour. Clubroot is very common on acidic soils. If the local soil tends to be acidic even without excessive manure be sure your kind neighbour has never had problems with it before you accept the plants.
'Nullius in verba' - 'Take nobody's word for it'

deannatrois

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2010, 23:46 »
He has already said (when I mentioned club root) that's its not on any of the allotments.., so hopefully its safe.  They certainly seem to know what they are doing.  But I shall add a dusting of lime as u suggest.  Hopefully it will help. I tested their plots where they had brassicas planted and they were neutral (altho from their blank looks when I mentioned brassica's not liking acidic soil I guess its from good soil management rather than anything specific). 

paintedlady

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 03:03 »
altho from their blank looks when I mentioned brassica's not liking acidic soil I guess its from good soil management rather than anything specific). 

You'll probably find brassicas can grow pretty well in most soils but obviously do better in neutral to higher pH - it's the clubroot that does best in acidic soils, so liming the soil is just good practice and a preventative measure.  You really do not want to introduce the disease to the soil as you'll never eradicate it and it'll cost a lot more in the long run  ;)
Failure is only a temporary change in direction to set you straight for your next success.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

xx
ACID SOIL

Started by geddall on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 29, 2010, 20:19
by Salmo
xx
Soil acid

Started by Paul Rhodes on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2008, 22:25
by nobby
xx
acid soil discovered after planting

Started by Battlefield Betsy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2011, 08:52
by Kristen
xx
fruit bushes in acid soil

Started by VioletSky on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 27, 2010, 17:35
by VioletSky

Page created in 0.32 seconds with 28 queries.