So...How did the Christmas cooking go?

• 13 Replies

Sally A

« on: December 26, 2007, 20:43 »
Mine went really smoothly, or perhaps the bubbly just made it seem that way, apart from forgetting to cook the peas which got a quick 6 mins in the micro whilst other veg was being dished up.

Dinner at 2.00pm I said, and 1.55pm I was carrying it all through to the table.

More luck than judgement I think.

Still had loads too much, a whole joint of beef went untouched, some interesting cheese still unopened, and celery unfondled, still have enough to snack on for the next few days.

Selkie

« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2007, 20:46 »
We were going to do all the preparation for our canneloni the night before but it totally slipped our minds; so we had to do the whole lot from scratch on Christmas Day - but it all worked out ok in the end.

I've been too busy eating fudge and tiramisu to be eating 'proper' food today so we have tonnes of stuff left over too...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2007, 20:50 »
All went well, until I realied with horror that with 20 mins to go I'd forgotten to roast the parsnips. Turned the oven up to 230c & nuked them. Best I've ever done!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

gobs

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2007, 20:50 »
Thanks for asking Sally. I was thinking a lot of people would like to share how it went and I'm nosy what everybody's biggest hit was.

(I only steam peas for 4 minutes or so. :? )

Everything went down well here, as I mentioned somewhere else the venison red wine gravy was a big hit. Made goose rice today, but still have plenty of meat left.

I wonder how Mushy and OH are coping with a much bigger bird?

Did you manage to serve at six, John?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2007, 22:07 »
Well there was only the two of us, and Brian said he really enjoyed his pork, nice bit of crackling, but then he said he couldn't eat it as he can't put his teeth in, they hurt!!!  

I get too organised to waste much.  Can't stand waste.  What's leftover from the pork will be something on Friday when his son and family come over, either re-heated with a roast, or a curry or a pie, depends what mood I'm in.  Didn't overdo the mince pies and sausage rolls, so they are nearly gone, pudding nearly gone as it wasn't huge, cake was only small, so that's nearly gone.

So foodwise, I'm pretty pleased!

Fenland Girl

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2007, 13:08 »
Only me, OH and our boys to cook for and it all went swimmingly! Was really chuffed to have most of the veg from our plot, including roast King Edwards which I parboiled then froze in September. Cooked from frozen they are absolutely delicious. The Enormous Swede which we have been savinf for Christmas also went down well roasted! Nobody but me eats sprouts so the chickens fought over most of them!

mashauk

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2007, 17:07 »
It was pretty shambolic, but they enjoyed it which was the main thing.  Me and OH and another lady cooked Christmas dinner for 40 homeless people at a shelter.  The other lady did the turkey and chicken as we're both veggie so didn't really want to have to do it (can't cook anything I can't taste anyway).  We got there at 10 to find the birds nearly cooked by the other lady, but nothing else started.  We only had massive pans which I couldn't lift once they had water and veg in them and an electric cooker/hob, which I'm not used to.  One of the residents set to peeling the spuds, and we put the spuds in cold water (not a good idea), by the time the water had started to boil I discovered that the bottom half of the pan of spuds had already got to mashing consistency!  Luckily we also had frozen spuds to top them up.  The centre had only bought enough sprouts for 1 each!  The other lady was putting the carrots on to cook at 11am (for lunch at 1!!) - I didn't say anything, just took them off the hob again, we also had yuk frozen mixed veg, instant gravy and instant stuffing (which burnt as it was put on far too early!).

I was really upset when we dished the food up (OH nearly passed out when he found out he was going to have to carve the turkey as no-one else was around, bearing in mind he hasn't touched meat for the best part of 30 years, I was OK until he broke the leg off at which point I had to go outside for some fresh air :lol: ) as I thought the meal was pretty dodo and I was embarassed to be giving them 1 potato and 1 sprout (although they could come back for 2nds we just wanted to make sure everyone got some of everything), but everyone seemed really happy with it and came up to say thanks, and in fact we've been asked to cook one Saturday a month, so we must have got something right, it was really a long day though, standing up from 10am til basically 4pm after we'd cleared up, I was so glad OH had worked in a "mass production" kitchen before as I didn't have a clue what to do, and he took charge.  

I think we will do it once a month, but on our terms, with our menu, which will be fresh, vegetarian nutritious food, some of the people there were very vulnerable and need healthy food, as well as lots of it!  We have a lot of thinking to do before we commit though, as it would mean one Saturday afternoon a month, which is OK in the winter but not sure if I'd want to do it come the Spring when I can be on the lottie.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2007, 20:36 »
I did a beef wellington for the first time and it turned out surprisingly well!

Congrats on everyone elses dinners!

gobs

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2007, 21:54 »
That sounds a big effort Masha, well done!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2007, 22:13 »
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
I did a beef wellington

Can you do a pair for me - size 9's please.

gobs

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2007, 22:15 »
Quote from: "DD."
Quote from: "SnooziSuzi"
I did a beef wellington

Can you do a pair for me - size 9's please.

Well done, I guess. :lol:  :lol:

Scribbler

« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2007, 12:47 »
Don't beat youself up Masha - sounds truly inspirational. The true spirit of Christmas. Put me to shame helping out with dinner for six.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2007, 15:27 »
We cooked the whole thing in our wood-fired bread oven.  I was more than a little apprehensive, as we'd had 3 days of torrential rain in the run up, which normally means the wood is so damp it won't get the thing up to temperature, plus the oven itself is damp.  Anyway, needn't have worried.  It all went very well indeed.

The roast spuds were a revelation - the oven gave them just a hint of smokiness and cooked them perfectly.

Carrots in vermouth & cumin were easy as - just wrap them in foil and sling them at the back for 40 mins.  Stuffing came out really good too.

Anyway, it looks like we'll be doing more than just pizze, foccacia, and bread in there from now on.  :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2007, 21:28 »
OK, I already want to come round to your's for itallian food with that wood oven but now I'm booking the plane ticket! Drool!
 :lol:

xx
cooking frozen pheasant for Christmas dinner

Started by hermon on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post December 23, 2008, 22:52
by mumofstig
xx
cooking books

Started by shaun on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post November 23, 2006, 12:25
by Jake
xx
cooking kale

Started by rowlandwells on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2021, 16:49
by rowlandwells
xx
cooking the perfect

Started by muntjac on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

39 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 22:11
by Ice

Page created in 0.154 seconds with 38 queries.