Pull cord jumps off pully

• 5 Replies

andyw

• Experienced Member
Pull cord jumps off pully
« on: February 08, 2012, 19:20 »
When I first started my rotavator the cord fell off the pulley when it returned, I wound it back in and it seemed to be ok.  I was able to run it for a few minutes until there was a loud screeching sound so I stopped the engine, it looks likes the cord has come off the pully again, but why would this happen after the engine had started and was running.

Could this be resolved by winding up the spring before winding the cord back in?

Andy

Gwiz

Re: Pull cord jumps off pully
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 19:45 »
I wonder if the pulley is at all damaged? Also very often at this time of year, the lubricant that is used for the spring can become quite thick because it's so cold. This will cause problems when the rope is being wound back around the pulley.
Just to clarify, it's important that when you pull the rope out when starting, that you don't let go of the rope and let it wind its self back in on it's own. If you do, very often the rope will jump off the pulley and it can actually damage the pulley its self. You are supposed to "place" the rope back in allowing a little resistance against your grip (if that makes sense to you)

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 20:08 »
Ok thanks, I did drop a little gear oil over it, I will wind back up and try again.

smud6ie

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 20:33 »
Ok thanks, I did drop a little gear oil over it, I will wind back up and try again.
If the balls and shaft in the starter get dry or sticky, this  can keep throwing the rope in and with a screeching noise.
smud6ie
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 21:00 by smud6ie »

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:48 »
I installed the pull cord again this morning and made sure that the spring is a lot tighter this time, I can still pull the cord out fully when starting.

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 22:13 »
Well the starter rope came off after 5 minutes today with a loud screech again! 

So i've found out what was causing this, I have an over running clutch.  Just in case anyone is interested here is youtube vid of what mine was doing.  I was advised to grease just the shaft and not the bearing though!

S2Kn6RiTA7U

xx
3hp b&s pull cord

Started by cray0752 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 02, 2008, 21:06
by Gwiz
xx
Replace Ryobi pull cord

Started by aubergine on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2010, 20:20
by aubergine
xx
qualcast hedge trimmer pull cord

Started by adal on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2019, 20:12
by adal
xx
Flymo DM Rotovator Pull Cord Recoil. B+S 3HP

Started by LILACSPLASH on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2007, 17:43
by LILACSPLASH

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 35 queries.