Mountfield M1 Disaster

• 2 Replies

ex-cavator

Mountfield M1 Disaster
« on: September 29, 2010, 21:43 »
Took the freebie M1 out for it's second major workout yesterday, & all was going well for an hour or so before disaster struck!

The tie bar - a thumping great bolt that runs horizontally through the chassis and holds it all together sheared off. The stub axle that holds the depth bar & the wheels at the back fell off & so the whole thing collapsed to the ground, and the only thing left holding the worm gear and the cutters at the front was the belts!

If anybody can help with a replacement tie bar from a defunct machine, or with advice on where I might get a replacement, that would be much appreciated  :blush:

Gwiz

Re: Mountfield M1 Disaster
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:37 »
Any local engineering firm will be able to make one for you, after all, it's only a bar with a thread on each end. You might even find a peice of threaded bar the same thread at your nearest B&Q.
Chin up old boy, it will live again. :)

ex-cavator

Re: Mountfield M1 Disaster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 19:45 »
Still no joy in fixing the Mountfield, and we've had the Council bods onto us asking if we still want both lotties as it looks like theres a lot of it not cultivated. I think we managed to convince them we're trying to get it sorted, but to help us on our way, I've just been on fleabay and bought a Wolseley Merry Tiller to tide us over.

Hope I've done the right thing - got it fairly cheap (£41), possibly because the description & pics weren't great, but I spoke to the seller on the phone & it sounds genuine enough. Hasn't been used for 20+ years but it started OK & engaged the tines (so he says).

Looks like a type C, got a Clinton engine but he doesn't know any more about it. I'm guessing this'll make it a Professional and the engine will be a 3 1/4 HP - can anybody confirm? Anyway, I'll be collecting it on Friday so here's to a productive weekend. I hope  ::)

xx
Mountfield M1

Started by dm1605 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2021, 08:18
by dm1605
xx
Mountfield Monarch M1

Started by DMCMROT on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post November 27, 2008, 21:18
by DMCMROT
xx
Old Mountfield rotovator

Started by toastedcrumpet on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post October 22, 2012, 17:08
by toastedcrumpet
xx
Mountfield M1 Super

Started by allotment-bill on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2011, 18:59
by Bigbadfrankie

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 38 queries.