a rotavator from freecycle all will be revealed tonite

• 67 Replies

philskin

Re: just picked up a rotavator from freecycle
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2009, 06:59 »
Wanna job? ;)

thanks gwiz what are the holidays like  :)  im hoping that it turns out half decent ,if it does i will try and find another restoration project and maybe take them around to village shows etc  . Gwiz could i please ask you what age is this machine it hasnt got any engine numbers so cant use that one website that tells you when its made i was assuming late 60s or am i way off
If the early bird gets the worm how come the 2nd mouse to the trap gets the cheese ??

Gwiz

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2009, 07:13 »
I can't say for sure. I'd guess about the same as you, maybe going into the 70's.
Mr Tallentire would be the best bet for a date.

philskin

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2009, 07:28 »
I can't say for sure. I'd guess about the same as you, maybe going into the 70's.

cheers gwiz :) :) anyway what you doing up so early on your day of

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2009, 09:05 »

cheers gwiz :) :) anyway what you doing up so early on your day of

Must be something in the air hahahah
Thanks
Kris

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2009, 10:20 »
Hello Phil,
  My age guess would be mid to late 1970s.??

The engine numbers Model, Type, Code will be stamped into the engine starter cowling tinwork unless the cowling has been replaced in its past history when there was a sticker supplied for transfer of numbers...or if another engines cowling has been fitted then they may/will be erroneous

The cowling on your engine looks original?? ..and the numbers will often be on the flat vertical side that faces the air filter..often hidden in rusting or covered with later paint..and perhaps needing paper and pencil tracing to help decipher...but they should be there....
The Code numbers will give the day of manufacture of the engine...which will at least give a clue to machine age...

All the best,
         "Dori"

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:25 by dorimower »

philskin

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 10:27 »
thanks dori would love to know its age   :) :) :)

philskin

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 12:13 »
right very wise people GWIZ  DORRI i need your super intelligence ive mounted the engine on my bench

changed the oil and drained the old fuel after about 10 pulls she wouldnt start so poured a little bit in the carb 2 pulls later she started ran for a little while  and stopped sprayed some wd40 in the carb and she started again but wouldnt run smoothly

now on munties link about b and s engines it says to take out the screw on float chamber and blow through but i cant find one and the main question is were is the choke and lastly call me thick ,we are used to it in shropshire  as the poem goes  shropshire bred strong in the arm thick in the head lol but the push pull switch on the carb is it out for fuel on or in or is that the choke if so is it out for choke on or in ,hope to hear from you soon im getting excited now sad isnt it  :) :) :)

dorimower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 14:21 »
I see it is rather rusty at the side of the engine number sticker where the numbers will be stamped..so perhaps the numbers will have vanished in the oxide.??..

This link shows some similar info to your engine ref operation... http://www.allotment-garden.org/assets/rotovator/briggs-stratton-80200-81299.pdf

The choke device is pulled back (out) for choke, for starting, or intial firing, and pushed in for run...you will see it close off the air aperture when pulled out.

You carb does not have a float..it has a diaphragm pump that lifts fuel from the tank into a chamber within fuel tank top from which fuel for running is drawn..this chambers fuel level is maintained constantly during running as fuel overflows back into the the tank...fuel mixture is metered by alloy screw and its seat on carb side in relation with high and low speed internal passages.

Ref engine bolted to shed bench...always run engines outside never in a shed...exhaust fumes and all that..and consider how to stop engine if it does run ;) also spinning crank/pulley extension ref loose clothing...
and from photo...weak mix loose carbon exhaust sparks onto white spirit bottles sacking etc. ;)

You would need to replicate what the machine throttle cable does in holding throttle arm open for run and also be able to push throttle forward to Stop...

Attempting a run without good air filter in place will slightly weaken fuel mixture..and may affect start and pick up to good run..  and I should add that the rubber pipe elbow should be fitted back too..it is the breather pipe from valve chest..

I am always a worrier :blush:…….. not trying to dampen enthusiasm..

Take care,

all the best,
             "Dori"

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 14:46 by dorimower »

philskin

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009, 15:32 »
thanks mate your a star :)

philskin

« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 07:12 »
going to start putting her back together today ,hope i havent lost me bits of paper with my drawings on oh err could end up as a lawnmower lol :D :D :D :( :( :(

philskin

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 11:02 »
she is coming back together now looking forward to finishing her

have i made a decent job so far  :) :) :) :)

philskin

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 12:26 »
right she,s back together again now ,just a few dirty finger marks to get off and try to make some new ends for the guard mount belt guide bracket thingy ma bob

just got to sort out the decals now and thats it

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 12:33 »
you do realise that now it's so clean and new looking you won't want to use it and get it dirty  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

philskin

« Reply #43 on: June 16, 2009, 12:44 »
you do realise that now it's so clean and new looking you won't want to use it and get it dirty  :D

i was thinking exactly the same thing myself ,shall i just make a glass case for it and call it my tribute to allotment .org

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #44 on: June 16, 2009, 12:50 »
 :lol: :lol:

xx
my freecycle joy

Started by jack russell on Equipment Shed

16 Replies
Last post September 10, 2007, 10:07
by jack russell
xx
just got this little fella from freecycle .

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

17 Replies
Last post June 19, 2007, 21:20
by Webby
xx
merry tiller from freecycle

Started by muntjac on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post September 06, 2007, 07:49
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
MY Freecycle find advice needed please

Started by richyrich7 on Equipment Shed

8 Replies
Last post February 05, 2007, 17:23
by Gwiz

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 36 queries.