Help with fitting oil seals

• 8 Replies

DMCMROT

Help with fitting oil seals
« on: April 26, 2009, 12:30 »
.photobucket.com/albums/tt204/

I have taken the casing ends off the gear box of a Mountfield M1 rotovator. Commerlad helpfully said the new seals are 1/2" deep by 1" by 1,1/2". However, I can't find a seal 1/2" deep and looking at the one end, the seal seems to be 1/4" deep backed by 1/4" of leather. I have taken the seal and leather completely off the other end. How do I go about the job, please!!!
dmcmrot

Gwiz

Re: Help with fitting oil seals
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 06:55 »
have you got your replacement oil seals yet?
this is a good place to try...  http://www.bearing-supplies.co.uk/page14.html

you may need to send what you have to them, so that they can make a good match.
phone them and explain what it's for and what machine you have, the chances are, they might have come across it before.

When I replace oil seals, I always use a "drift" to refit them. It must be just fractionally be a smaller diameter than the oil seal, and have a perfectly flat bottom, so it will not damage the seal when it is tapped against it.
the best way to refit the seals is in a press. this applies even pressure all around the seal as it pushes it into the casing.
 :)

DMCMROT

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 17:14 »
Thanks, Having carefully taken the other half apart, I am now more aware of how things fit, the oil seal is bonded to an annular, metal cup which in turn rests on a leather or fibre washer. The dimensions of both seem to be 1/4" deep, 1"id & 1,3/8"od. I have yet to find replacements - presumably the washer seals the metal cup and having a replacement with a metal cup is also important? My rotovator seems to be older than the usual ones in these forums - the belt slack is taken up by relative movement of two chassis parts rather than a jockey pulley. The engine (B & S  sprint 3.75) would seem to have been replaced since its black rather than painted white as in most o the ones on E-bay.

Gwiz

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 17:37 »
yes, you're quite right about the engine, the sprint wouldn't have been made when the tiller was, mind you, as far as I can tell, it's more or less the same engine with a few refinements......
I think the metal part is quite important on the seal. it would be better if you can replace like for like, but that might not now be possable due to age.
good luck finding the parts. When you do get some, come and let us know where you got 'em from!! ;)

raymo1

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 22:19 »
I've got a Mountfield M1 so I will be watching this thread with interest. I've noticed oil on the output shaft. Happy hunting.

DMCMROT

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 19:26 »
Will let you know how I get on - I filled with grease rather than oil for rotavating earlier in the season but the seals were getting so bad that the grease was coming out so I have had to look to change them. Your first option may be to try grease. I don't know if others would recommend this. Check which M1 you have - the later ones may well have only a single 1/2" deep oil seal as Commerlad said.

DMCMROT

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 16:59 »
Have ordered oil seals from bearing supplies using web site adress referred to above. Have ordered leather washers from www.rhnuttall.co.uk who do a lot of seals and sealing materials and is well worth a look. Simplybearings.co.uk also have a online shop for seals etc which may be of interest to some. The washer thickness was 1/8" not 1/4" as I typed earlier. The last thing I need to know is do I need to oil and/or grease the seal and washer before fitting?

Gwiz

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 17:26 »
It won't hurt to oil the leather which, I assume, is on the inside of the seal. Other than that, the oil you put in the casing after the job's finished, should get to all the parts that need it. :)

raymo1

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2009, 22:21 »
How did you get on with your order for new oil seals. Best Wishes.

xx
Oil seals

Started by mick on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 12, 2006, 14:38
by mick
xx
Honda F80 oil seals

Started by globetrotter on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post January 21, 2014, 20:56
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Mountfield M1 Rotovator - oil seals

Started by greenhead on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2017, 15:59
by Sparticus
xx
Mountfield M1 rotovator oil seals

Started by rotokid on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post March 07, 2008, 08:36
by rotokid

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 40 queries.