ROTAVATOR

• 4 Replies

berttimms

ROTAVATOR
« on: December 29, 2008, 21:27 »
hi there im new to this forum thing so here it goes
iv just been given a briggs and stratton 4hp rotavator which i was told was running ok when last used but not for me it seems ive changed the plug it has a current (which i felt!) but i couldnt see a spark and on the wheel with the magnets on only one seems to be magnetised not sure if this is normal?? ive changed the fuel as well so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance bert.

Gwiz

ROTAVATOR
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 07:10 »
Hello Bert.
Yes you will only find one magnet on the flywheel. I expect your problem will be with either a set of points (if the engine is old enough to have them) or with stale fuel/blocked pick-up pipes/damadged/wornout diagphragm.
Briggs will only have made the engine, so there would have been another plate on the machine somewhere to tell you who made the rest of it!
Have a look at the engine, what coulour is it? if white it may well have points, if black, it could have "magnetron" written on the centre of where the rope winds in. ( some of the later white engines have this written on them too ) If it has, then you will have an electronic ignition model that will eliminate points problems.
let us know which engine you have, or post a photo, and we shall go from there.
There is another member who writes on these forums called "Dorimower",
he and I have led many people though the trials and tribulations of elderly briggs engine ownership, so don't despair!

all the best, I look forward to hearing from you..

berttimms

CHEERS
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 09:17 »
thanks graham i will check today an let you know if the shed door isnt frozen closed!

berttimms

and finally
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 19:15 »
ive just managed to get the rotavator going re insulated the magneto wiring and re soldered on to the condensor and primed the engine by hand with a straw and a little fuel and hey presto bang nearly blew the shed up but on second attempt it ran and spat alot of crud out and runs like a dream allthough no exhaust at the mo but thanks for the help and anything i can do let me know and ill try my best

Gwiz

ROTAVATOR
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2009, 19:29 »
Always happy to help if I can, bert. :D

xx
M1 ROTAVATOR

Started by bert on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post May 13, 2007, 13:29
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
More rotavator help please

Started by richyrich7 on Equipment Shed

21 Replies
Last post May 11, 2007, 14:23
by LILACSPLASH
xx
rotavator

Started by johnys on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 19:34
by BostonInbred
xx
rotavator ?

Started by smellykipper on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post March 14, 2015, 20:11
by pipfit

Page created in 0.162 seconds with 36 queries.