new fuel E10

• 10 Replies

rowlandwells

new fuel E10
« on: September 03, 2021, 10:35 »
I was asked the question yesterday if this new fuel E10  will be compatible to use in there rotavators mowers and chainsaws etc something  i couldn't answer so does anyone know if its safe to use E10 in these machines or do we need to stick with E5?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: new fuel E10
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2021, 10:45 »
Safer to stick with E5 unless they have positive info from the manufacturer of their equipment.
Always "better safe than sorry"

jezza

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 19:16 »
Hello I've enquired with Stihl  UK about E10 fuel they say that their equipment should be alright in it or I can run in Stihl Motomix,its best to check in the owners manuals for each machine I ran a Masport mower with a 2011 Briggs and Stratton engine yesterday it ran perfect,old 2007 Stihl FS 400 started with out any bother the 2019 Stihl FS460 played up till it got its self sorted then ran perfectly,Stihl HS 81 hedgecutter  ran ok (you've guessed I like Stihl) still looking for a machine that will out cut them   jezza

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2021, 12:50 »
The problem with E10 is not how they run but how long they will continue to do so. E10 rusts the insides of steel fuel tanks and rots older types of rubber fuel pipes and carb components. Also lots on US websites about it forming a deposit in the bottom of carburettors. So, while it will work fine on first fill up, best advice is to drain it out before the winter lay up. It will be particularly bad in rotavators as they only get used a few weeks in spring, followed by almost 12 months of storage.
R Tallentire

jezza

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 12:53 »
Hello I cant understand why the powers to be have introduced this Ethanol added fuel,when I was asked to purchase new mowers for my local church 6 years ago I had 2 Stiga ethanol fuel mowers arranged on demonstration  a week before they were due to be delivered the dealer said that they couldnt br demonstrated as Ethanol was not allowed in the UK and would never be available     jezza

jezza

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 13:36 »
Hello I have an old Ransomes Matador 24 inch mower that should run on E10,it has a multi fuel engine petrol,gas TVO Parrafin,Kerosene   jezza

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 17:02 »
I have a McCulloch 210 strimmer, this thing would run on 10 year old fuel (well old fuel) no problem, I cannot get it started with E10!

I have Ethanol Shield which some piston heads suggested, no joy. Next option is to use the super unleaded and see if it will start on that.

At this moment in time not too happy  :mad: :mad: :mad:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2021, 12:58 »
TVO that brings back a few memories of times gone by jezza you could smell a tractor run on TVO a mile away a much better smell than diesel we have two Tractors that run on TVO sadly there in need of TLC not run for twenty odd years

jezza

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2021, 16:29 »
Hello apparently TVO is only available as the TV the O part has to be supplied by the tractor owner,another government interference I'll check the mixture rate I'm sure its 2.5 gallons of petrol to 5 gallons of Paraffin,dont take my word for it,I use to get it for the mower from the market garden i worked at,we had a TVO Fordson E27N    jezza

salixer

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 16:35 »
New forum member so I'm coming late to this thread:  I would offer some thoughts though as I'm not entirely happy about going with E10 petrol. 

Surprised (if only because it has a steel fuel tank) to find that my 1960s Howard rotavator's American Kohler engine is supposedly 10% ethanol ready !  Most of my other kit is relatively modern (apart from 2-stroke Mantis tiller) so probably OK to run on E10.  BUT I plan to buy high octane E5 mix in future (unfortunately @ premium cost - I have a question later* about high octane E5 in a moment though). 
Garden equip' unlikely to go through fuel routinely like a car say, so, it seems to me, E10 in garden equip poses increased risk of absorbing water into the fuel over even short lay-up periods.  Of course E5 (5% ethanol) still has potential to absorb water, but I guess we have been living with E5 long enough to know it is "manageable" !
I believe there are some additives one can add to E10 to help prevent degradation (not fully explored yet), but seems to me that an E5 formula will be easier to manage.

Anyone additional thoughts anyone about E10 versus E5 ??

*And as regards high octane E5 ("super-petrol"), any general recommends please for carb' adjustments in small engine garden equip' (either 2-stroke or 4-stroke) ??

jezza

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2021, 15:58 »
Hello I've been starting my mowers( that were parked up 12 November) over the weekend the  12 year old 5.5 hp Briggs engined Masport mower started with a struggle but once it wads warm it ran ok the Cubcadet 10.5 hp started first turn on the key (no recoil) they're both on E10 the 2 stroke Stihl machines are on E5 ,the new Stihl FS 460 runs for 35 minutes on E10 were as  it does 45 -50 minutes on E 5 the old 9 year old FS 400 runs on either with out much difference in running time Nylium star line 1 hour 5 minutes on E5, 1 hour on E10  55 minutes ,with the tri blade on E 45 minutes on E5  40 minutes on E10, circular saw blade is 35 minutes on both fuels  never misses a beat the hedge cutters are on E5  2 stroke mower doesnt know the difference     jezza

xx
Fuel

Started by richyrich7 on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post March 21, 2007, 21:02
by richyrich7
xx
fuel leak on b+s 3.5hp

Started by bigsprouts on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post March 19, 2008, 17:34
by bigsprouts
xx
Aspen fuel

Started by jezza on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 05, 2014, 00:20
by jezza
xx
rotovator fuel help

Started by titch on Equipment Shed

10 Replies
Last post April 01, 2009, 21:25
by titch

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 50 queries.