Howard 220 questions.....

• 4 Replies

Rhys

• Experienced Member
Howard 220 questions.....
« on: June 12, 2017, 22:25 »
Hey folks..
I'm looking at a Howard 220 on fleabay and it has the original Aspera HTB35 engine (which isn't running properly)

Does anyone know if I can retrofit a Honda engine to one? The Honda has 4 mounting bolts and is fitted to the Bantam at the min.
I have a Bantam that needs work doing to it as the belt slips like mad and I can't use it. It's had a 5hp Honda engine fitted and the clutch thing doesn't pull the belt tight enough. I thought about fitting a tighter belt and just crunching between the gears/drive as long as it moved and worked.

I think the 220 operates in a similar way, but not sure. I'm also not sure if it only has one speed and the tines work only when the drive is on (Bantam has 2 speeds and tines are separate from drive)

I don't want to buy another pup lol

Cheers.
"There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little." - Billy Connolly

Rhys

• Experienced Member
Re: Howard 220 update...
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2017, 23:50 »
Well, I pulled the trigger on the 220 and am hopefully off to pick it up on Sunday morning..

The advert says it runs, but could do with a service. Reading up, the engines aren't the best apparently.
Looking around on fleabay and I've seen another Howard 220 with a Honda engine, so I'm going to do a swap-over with the Bantam and sell it on..

Should be straightforward enough to do. I think the only hard part will be swapping over the pulleys.

I'm hoping the sophisticated clutch mechanism (pulling the drive belt tight) works better on the 220 than it does on the Bantam.. I think the later Bantams had a belt tensioner, whereas mine works by shifting the engine to the right - but not very well, so the belt slips and so doesn't do much..

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: Howard 220 questions.....
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2017, 20:39 »
Be careful with engine swaps. They are never straightforward. Getting the Bantam's clutch to work properly would be child’s play compared to doing an engine swap. I work on Merry Tillers, and the ones I have bought with non standard engines rarely work right, some of the transplants I have come across are downright weird.
R Tallentire

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2017, 22:07 »
Be careful with engine swaps. They are never straightforward. Getting the Bantam's clutch to work properly would be child’s play compared to doing an engine swap. I work on Merry Tillers, and the ones I have bought with non standard engines rarely work right, some of the transplants I have come across are downright weird.

Yeah, the Bantam doesn't run right and I did think about changing the belt for something a lot tighter and having it permanently set so it worked. The platform the engine is sat on tends to not sit right. when it is engaged I have to keep tilting the whole thing over to the right to try and get traction on the belt to make the flipping thing move.

It looks like the 220 works on the similar principal except the tray is hinged on one side the the engine is lifted to engage it. I'd have to measure the shaft centre on the Honda compared the the Aspera I guess.

Rhys

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 21:42 »

Well, I've gone and picked it up..

The seller said he'd never used it, and it wouldn't run properly. It wouldn't.. Took me ages to start and it wouldn't run. Stripped the carb and found out the choke wouldn't close fully due to a lip on the air intake - filed it off..

Also the throttle lever is bent, so needs a new one. The throttle linkage that goes to the carb wasn't right either, so had to shorten a spring and adjust it. It now runs perfectly well but needs some bits, inc a pin to hold the rod that moves the engine onto the lever.. At a push I could use a hair clip I guess..

Good bits are, it has the side panels and has been widened, probably by swapping some tines around. Also it has the extra toothed wheels that bolt onto the side of the normal wheels. They also act as weights should nice they weigh a fair amount. I've removed them so I don't take chunks out of my workshop door frame..

The petrol tank is off an ATCO I think, but does fit so no probs there..

And.. it's shorter than the Bantam so I can actually get it into my workshop/garage as the door is down the side, and there's no garage door (had it built without one.)

At least I don't have to do an engine swap now (although I wouldn't be hard to do as the engine lift feature is adjustable)

xx
Howard Gem Help

Started by Dakes55 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2015, 11:23
by acer
xx
Howard 352

Started by allot100 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 17:56
by allot100
xx
Howard The Gem

Started by walldanzig on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 15:32
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Howard 400

Started by Dangermouse on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post February 12, 2013, 19:46
by Dangermouse

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 35 queries.