favourite hand tool

• 11 Replies

jambop

favourite hand tool
« on: June 21, 2015, 17:23 »
What is your favourite hand tool this is mine with out a doubt the best hoe for about you plants and onions. Here is a snap of part my veg plot.
DSCN1793 (800x600).jpg
DSCN1791 (800x600).jpg
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 17:27 by jambop »

jambop

Re: favourite hand tool
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 17:34 »
Here is a snap of my tomatoes and beans how do they compare to crops back home? I did not get a very early start to the year as my garden was very wet in the spring but things soon catch up I have some other tomatoes that should give me a crop later on in Sept and Oct.
DSCN1789 (800x600).jpg

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2015, 17:37 »
Mt favourite hand tool is a vintage hoe, I had been searching for a 3 inch wide one for ages then found one in a car boot sale, the vintage steel is so much better than new steel and I wouldn't swop it for any new one that's for certain

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 17:48 »
My asparagus knife. Present from my family very good for harvesting asparagus and other crops on occasion.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Snoop

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 17:16 »
Nice photos, jambop. Your plot is way ahead of mine in every respect after rain stopped play in the spring.

As for my favourite tool, it depends on the time of year. Sometimes it's the rotovator when it's being wielded by Mr Snoop. Sometimes it's my mattock, especially when earthing up potatoes. At the moment it's my Dutch hoe.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2015, 20:32 »
It's got to be my 'Swoe', but the Growstada comes a very close second...

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85597.0

LotuSeed

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 21:26 »
My iPhone. I take lots of pics, which helps me keep a visual and written diary of the garden. I can also use it to identify plants that are good for the garden and ones that need to be pulled and disposed of. Not a conventional hand tool per se but it is very useful.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 12:50 by LotuSeed »
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 10:28 »
Although I've got conventional long-handled dutch and draw hoes, my favourite is a Wolf 'swoe' type attachment, with long and short handles, which makes the job quite easy for both larger areas and for getting down close and personal amongst tightly spaced crops without inflicting too much collateral damage!  ::)

(Only downside is the fact they are sold in a very blunt condition, and sharpening the cutting edges of a swoe is fiddly and time-consuming, although once done you shouldn't have to keep repeating the operation.)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 19:50 »
I have a hand forged korean hand tool which is brilliant.  they are imported by gunderoo tillers who call it an Ibis cultivator ☺

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2015, 08:56 »
I have a hand forged korean hand tool which is brilliant.  they are imported by gunderoo tillers who call it an Ibis cultivator ☺

Just Goggled that, CQ - it looks great!

As JayG says, it must be one for getting up close and personal with the plants!

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2015, 16:54 »
It was even better as it was free!  I was probably the first to see em when they were first advertised in they sent it gratis  :)  It is great for hoiking out weeds. You stab em and grab em. The end is pointy so good at stabbing. A good hand grip so it's easy to pull.  Good also for making a furrow for seed sowing.  Good for chopping up chunky bits of soil prior to planting or sowing.

Lovely weight and  comfy to hold plus it hangs up easy. I just hook it over the cross member of my shed roof

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2015, 20:57 »
It was even better as it was free!  I was probably the first to see em when they were first advertised in they sent it gratis  :)  It is great for hoiking out weeds. You stab em and grab em. The end is pointy so good at stabbing. A good hand grip so it's easy to pull.  Good also for making a furrow for seed sowing.  Good for chopping up chunky bits of soil prior to planting or sowing.

Lovely weight and  comfy to hold plus it hangs up easy. I just hook it over the cross member of my shed roof

CQ, you need to watch the terms you used here, which have got an ageing Growster quite  - er - interested..;0)

clip
What is this garden hand tool, please?

Started by Kevin67 on Equipment Shed

11 Replies
Last post November 03, 2014, 22:20
by LotuSeed
xx
Identify this hand tool

Started by Alby on Equipment Shed

50 Replies
Last post February 19, 2013, 13:56
by Paul Plots
xx
Favourite garden tool

Started by black diamond on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 12, 2007, 17:59
by Gwiz
question
Name that tool.......

Started by Hesse2509 on Equipment Shed

25 Replies
Last post December 31, 2011, 06:23
by Hesse2509

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 37 queries.