rotavator ?

• 7 Replies

smellykipper

• Experienced Member
  • Always willing to learn
rotavator ?
« on: March 14, 2015, 06:28 »
i'll be buying my first rotavator soon, any does and donts please as i cant afford to get this wrong  :unsure:

many thanks
Daz
Hi ho, Hi ho
It's off to work we go
(whistles)
Hi ho, Hi ho, Hi ho

Steveharford

Re: rotavator ?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2015, 07:59 »
I can thoroughly recommend this one. Copes well with virgin ground too. Which is why i got it.
http://www.ardisam.co.uk/product/earthquake-badger-650-cultivator.aspx

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 12:40 »
This is a how long is a piece of string question. I would not like to try turning part of a grass field into a plot with that Badger. I've done it with a Merry Tiller Major and that was not easy. Lots of people on here swear by Mantis but often add something like "I dug the plot over first" which to me negates the whole point of having a rotovator. For big areas, old style, wheels at the front, tynes at the back are probably best but lots of Chinese ones have come in recently and their durability is suspect. Big names like Honda, Merry Tiller and Mountfield are strong, and make good "mid tyne" machines for medium sized plots but they cost big money new. For small areas of already cultivated soil, a Mantis or Honda's equivalent could be the answer.
R Tallentire

Steveharford

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2015, 14:15 »
I don't think Smellykipper was suggesting he wanted to convert a grass field to a plot. I was just stating that the earthquake 'also' copes well with virgin ground. Which it does. The rear tined jobs are certainly easier to use but much more expensive of course. Wish I could afford one but it might be a bit of overkill on my plot 😉

grendel

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2015, 14:20 »
I cope with my plot that always seems to go to wilderness over winter, I have a small 3hp Handy rotovator, basically I strim it to ground level, then tackle it with the rotovator, first pass you have to stop a lot to clear the weeds and mud from the tines, with clear tines you can slowly break into virgin territory, but go slow, and clear the tines lots for the first pass, once that is done I redo the plot quite regularly until I plant up, and its always a couple of extra passes for a fine tilth just before planting. if its difficult going dont try and hurry the machine, just nibble small bites and you will get there eventually.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

m1ckz

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 19:37 »
i have the chinese 1   forward an reverse . its a maxtra about 400 pounds   its been brillient its on its 2nd year with no probs  im very impressed with itdone my plot this week an its ready for planting,,i also have a mantis tiller.. ideal for weeding between rows and fine tilling

Jason1971

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2015, 19:59 »
i bought the honda 220 i think the model is without checking , does everything what i need to do on my 300sq yard allotment,seen them go for 200-300 second hand

pipfit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2015, 20:11 »
Have a chinese rotovator from Direct Power now in its 4/5th year not sure does a good job easy to use and had no problems.I have 4 allotments.
pipfit

xx
rotavator

Started by johnys on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 12, 2010, 19:34
by BostonInbred
xx
MTD Rotavator

Started by SimonIG10 on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post April 01, 2020, 09:11
by SimonIG10
xx
Rotavator Help!!!!!!!!

Started by desertfinch on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post February 29, 2012, 13:41
by Vit
xx
Rotavator

Started by Fletch24 on Equipment Shed

1 Replies
Last post September 09, 2021, 18:15
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 36 queries.