Doodlehouse Problems

• 13 Replies

SuzyQ

Doodlehouse Problems
« on: February 13, 2013, 15:29 »
I purchased a Mimi Doodlehouse last summer, being new to keeping chickens I wanted a plastic coop to help with the red mite issues I'd read about.  Initially I was delighted with the coop but over the winter a few bits have snapped off of it making it impossible to secure.  It's a coop that slots together and has wedges to hold roofs in place. Now I worried the foxes could get in if they had a go so I've had to use wire to try and secure the nesting box at night.
I wondered if anyone else had experienced any similar issues?  I'm in the process of contacting the producers but as they are on a sabbatical according to their website this is proving slow.  It is meant to have 12 months guarantee so I'm hoping they will replace the parts! It's not a cheap coop I paid over £200 for it so I'm a bit disappointed to say the least :(

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
Re: Doodlehouse Problems
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 00:04 »
I have the mimi... Just about a year old... The decorative chicken that sits on top of the roof has broken, other than that its ok but I'm being very gentle when removing the roof now.
x1 Light Sussex x1 Black Rock x1 Bluebell x1 Silver Sussex

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 08:44 »
It sounds as though the plastic has become brittle which would suggest to have happened so soon it is not fit for purpose. Is the company having a sabbatical, very odd, it may be that they are having financial problems. I would send a recorded delivery letter giving them a fortnight to respond before taking the matter up with trading standards. It is not very satisfactory, but I don't need to tell you that. Hope it sorts itself out. :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Prod

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 08:59 »
As above.... but the Trading Standards wont get you your money back.  If they dont respond send another letter (recorded) saying you will issue a claim in the County Court. You can do it online & costs about £80 which you get back if you win. If they dont show or dont defend  or lose you will get a judgment against them. If they dont pay within the time limit you can immediately send in the Baliffs to get th emoney or goods to the effect which will be sold topay you.  Most companies would not want a CCJ  so th ethreat may be enough  Good Luck

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 10:30 »
I have a doodlehouse and touchwood havnt had a problem but mine is under a car port with brick wall around so its very protected from the elements. When I do take it appart to do a good clean im always very careful as u can see how things could break easily. I agree with others about taking it further asdoodlehouse do boast how fantastic there product is and practicly give a lifetime garantee. Good luck let us know if your problem is resolved.

grinling

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 10:57 »
If paid with credit card/debit card or paypal, contact the company/bank as they are also responsible for goods.

SuzyQ

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 19:44 »
Thanks.  I think it's a bit odd being on a "sabbatical".  Anyway I'm going to send them a letter and see what response I get. 
Holding the nesting box roof on with wire and a brick!

Hen 1-0 Fox

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 14:39 »
Thanks.  I think it's a bit odd being on a "sabbatical".  Anyway I'm going to send them a letter and see what response I get. 
Holding the nesting box roof on with wire and a brick!

Jeez that doesn't sound good! Be interested to find out why their reply is!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 19:16 »
Perhaps sabatical = had so many problems we've gone into hiding  :ohmy:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 14:11 »
my thoughts exactly Aunty, I would send the letter using a signed for method such as recorded or special delivery.
Staffies are softer than you think.

SuzyQ

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2013, 19:25 »
Well this is the reply I have received from the now owners of Doodlehouse:

"We have received a letter from yourselves ref a Doodlehouse Mimi.
DoodleHouse has changed hands at the beginning of 2013.
We bought the machinary and the rights to the design in January of 2013, as your purchase was from Doodlehous Limited Huntingdon, and not ourselves Global GT Limited located in Northampton.
The warranty on the website is our warranty for our products which are manufactured in a different way,
however we can supply the parts you need, our year 2 and year 3 warranty on our products is £10 per panel plus postage, damaged in anyway for any reason, which we will gladly extend to your self.
Can you send in photographs of the broken parts for our records, we will then raise a purchase order and forward it to you for payment and get your parts dispatched as quickly as possible.
I trust that this meets with your approval."

This did not "meet with my approval" as it would cost me over £50 to replace all the broken parts!  I'm going to put it down to a bad purchase and make do for now!  I just hope people looking to buy such a coop will learn from my experience and look at other products instead.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2013, 12:44 »
If paid with credit card/debit card or paypal, contact the company/bank as they are also responsible for goods.

I second what grinling says but not sure if you can get money back from a Company that has merely changed its name to avoid redress (if that is what they have done).  It is normally double glazing firms that rebrand themselves like that.  Shame on you Doodlhouse/Global GT Ltd or whatever you call yourselves in the future.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

bravemurphy

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2013, 15:47 »
 I would have thought if they "bought the machinery and rights to the design in January of 2013"

Then they must honour the garantee?

Because all that has changed is the name and not the product.

Elvira

• Experienced Member
  • Doodles just doing what they do best...
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2013, 17:03 »
I would suggest that, if you haven't done so already, you should contact your local CAB to ask them to help you write a very formal letter to claim under the guarantee - they can have a good look at the issues and advise you who to write to and what to say (I suspect it may still be Doodlehouses Ltd - based on a Companies house webcheck and the Doodlehouse current website - but you need to check your original paperwork as you need to have the right company and exactly what the guarantee was for). Also it is worth speaking to trading standards at your local council as if there enough problems with this product and the guarantee is effectively worthless, among other things they could put pressure on the company to respond more positively. Don't be fobbed off!

xx
my new doodlehouse

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post July 17, 2012, 13:31
by SMS6
xx
Decisions.. Arkus v Solway v Doodlehouse

Started by Lisa Hailwood on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2012, 18:27
by Colernehens
xx
New Doodlehouse Mimi - Perch dilema **WITH PICTURE**

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post July 20, 2012, 12:55
by SMS6
xx
Rat Problems

Started by Nutty on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 07, 2011, 08:11
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 39 queries.