Hen attacking cats

• 11 Replies

Frangelina

Hen attacking cats
« on: August 18, 2010, 16:59 »
Hello, I am new to the hen thing.  Have my 3 hens, Rick, Ray and Rudy now for just over two months.  When I get home from work I let the hens out into a hen proof section of the garden.  They are also for 4 or 5 hours a day at the week-ends.  My cats have the run of the rest of the garden but would spend time in the hen part just lying around, doing what cats do best and looking kind of annoyed.  Last week-end Rick, my mental hen started chasing the cats and pecking at their bottoms.  Now everytime one of my cats appears Rick takes off after him.  Kit and Kat are 13 and this is their home and they were there first.  I have tried sitting with them beside me and Rick on my knee but as soon as I put him down (can't think of rick as a girl - too much of a bully) he jumps up and tries to peck the cats.  I need them to be friends.  Has anyone got any suggestions.

PS:  I have seen Rick chasing a squirrel too. 

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Hen attacking cats
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2010, 18:26 »
My cat was terrified of the hens for ages, and used to run off, but now he has learnt that if he does not move that they will not chase him.
Your hens seem to have got the idea that the garden belongs to them and not the cats. Are you sure they are hens and not cockerels?

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2010, 19:16 »
Video Rick chasing the cats and with the money you get from 'You`ve been framed' you can buy some cat body armour.

But seriously,the hens will get bored with it , mine used to chase sparrows but soon gave up. :)

iwantanallotment

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 00:17 »
I wish my hens would chase off the 2 cats that stalk them daily  :tongue2:

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 02:03 »
Rick seems to have a serious psychological problem almost certainly caused by having a totally inappropriate name for a lady.  Call her Rachel, Rowena or Roxanne and all will be well :wacko:
HF
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 22:52 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Kathie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 14:58 »
Hi All,
We have a mixed flock of 12 hens, 3 dogs (2 staffies and a little JR) and 2 cats, very similar in looks to yours Frangelina but they are only 15 months old.

2 of the hens are Blackrocks and we call them The Men in Black, one Bernie (the bully/bouncer and many other names beginning with b) doesn't bother our cats but she does run at all 3 dogs, and they are really scared of her as they each have had a peck off her. We love all our animals but Bernie is only tolerated as every day she has a go at someone.
Good luck with Rick!!
3 dogs now, 2 passed RIP Poppy and Paige, one wonderful husband and a new adventure on this wonderful island

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 15:09 »
The top hen will sometimes become a sort of honorary cockerel and protecter of the flock, with the top position comes responsibility.

Like politicians,

not! :)

Ribbit

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 16:53 »
Unfortunatley i have wuss hens xD. I wish they would chase off the cats but i think they prefer me to do it!
It's like America...But south!

evie2

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 19:28 »
I wish our hens would chase off the monster tom cats from next door ggrrrrrr >:(
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

irish rose

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 10:29 »
My hens do that with my poor dog and she just stands there and lets them :)

Knight Family

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 16:29 »
2 of the hens are Blackrocks and we call them The Men in Black, one Bernie (the bully/bouncer and many other names beginning with b) doesn't bother our cats but she does run at all 3 dogs, and they are really scared of her as they each have had a peck off her.

You find Blackrock's are the boss of any group of chickens, its just there nature and the fact I think they are taller!

But I must admit I do love my Ginger (Blackrock)
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 13:23 »
My hens have a good go at my cats.  We have a lot of neighbourhood cats, and I notice that they give our hens a wide berth.  Wise cats.   ;)
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

xx
Cats

Started by DMT2011 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post March 21, 2011, 19:57
by evie2
xx
Damn Cats...

Started by tiptopchickendon on Chicken Chat

17 Replies
Last post May 20, 2010, 19:40
by feelingbroody

Page created in 0.15 seconds with 35 queries.